Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Config Backup Job Failed

Post by Zew »

Hey,

I'm in the middle of a complete network re-design, moving from NFS to iSCSI.

There is a huge change in this design implementation and its going great! Now I changed my original backup target from a SMB target repo to an iSCSI one.

I created a temp Storage Server and copied all my backup data to it. At this point I deleted all the on disc data via Veeams console. When I went to delete the Repo it clearly stated all my backup jobs still use it (makes sense, my goal was to copy the data to the local disc (new iSCSI disc), scan the new repo, map the new repo to the existing jobs, bingo bango bobs your uncle) So I left it alone with all my jobs disabled.

Now my jobs are running great with my datastores still being NFS, direct NFS is still working a charm with my Veeam server still having a leg in that subnet, including the new iSCSI subnets for when I move to DirectSAN vs DirectNFS, the goal will be getting MPIO to work on 2 x 1gbps nics (I've got this working between my Test 5.5 hypervisor and my production SAN (VNXe 3150)) However;

I got an error stating my config backup job failed, Yay get to learn something new about my favorite product; Veeam!

So since I'm not done migrating my backup data to my new repo, how do I go about moving this target?

I read this: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... onfig.html

However, maybe I missed something when I went through the add new repo wizard cause I don't remember seeing this..

"When you configure a new backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication offers you to change the configuration backup file location from the default backup repository to the new backup repository. Click Yes, and Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically change the backup target in the configuration backup job settings and will use this target in future."

There was a check box labeled "Import existing backups automatically" but I wasn't sure exactly what it meant here I thought it would import all my backup data which I deleted, so I didn't check it off.. was this the checkbox the same as the above aforementioned quote? If so maybe that checkbox should be re-worded...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Config Backup Job Failed

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Most likely you've already stored your configuration backups in a non-default repository, that's why Veeam B&R didn't offer to change it. Anyway, you can manually change the configuration backup location using the 'Configuration Backup' command on the main product menu.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Re: Config Backup Job Failed

Post by Zew »

I was one click away from the answer.. if I just would have clicked on any other related links at the bottom, Doh!

Thanks foggy!