Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Squeezer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Endpoint Backup over DirectAccess?

Post by Squeezer »

I have a Veeam Backup & Replication 9 Update 2 repository in my server farm. My DirectAccess client can ping the server just fine over DirectAccess. However, it cannot backup to the repository over DirectAccess. It simply gives an error about unable to connect to host. However, with the DirectAccess client is on the local corporate network, it can backup to the repository just fine. Does Veeam Endpoint Backup not support backing up over DirectAccess connections?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup over DirectAccess?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

How do you configure your Veeam Endpoint Backup job? Do you select volumes to backup or something else? What firewall? Do you have all the required ports open?
Squeezer
Influencer

Post by Squeezer »

I select to backup the entire system. what ports need to be open besides tcp 10001?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

There are more ports that need to be open to connect to the repository. 10001 is only to connect to the backup server itself. See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/1 ... ports.html for the necessary ports.

Cheers
Mike
mark.just.mark
Novice
Full Name: Mark Fowler

Post by mark.just.mark »

Did you manage to get this working?
Squeezer
Influencer

Post by Squeezer »

No, Veeam does not work with IPv6
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Theoretically this still could work even if we don't work over IPv6. But you need that gateway (the correct name escapes me at this moment, nat64?) in your directaccess environment to make it work. I believe windows server 2012 R2 and 2016 have that now both in the box and both IPv6 and IPv4 are supported
mark.just.mark
Novice
Full Name: Mark Fowler

Post by mark.just.mark »

Mike Resseler wrote:Theoretically this still could work even if we don't work over IPv6. But you need that gateway (the correct name escapes me at this moment, nat64?) in your directaccess environment to make it work. I believe windows server 2012 R2 and 2016 have that now both in the box and both IPv6 and IPv4 are supported
If VEB only talks IPv4, then I don't think you could make it work over DA.

NAT64 and DNS64 on the DA server make your corporate IPv4 address space available to a DA client, but they do it as IPv6 addresses (essentially appending the 32 bit IPv4 address to a DA-provided IPv6 prefix)

The DA client does not see the corporate IPv4 addresses, and can't access them over the network.

So, are there plans to make VEB talk IPv6 any time soon?

Mark
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mark,

No plans at this moment as far as I know.
V-User
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Olnhoff

Post by V-User »

Hello,

Are there any Updates here?
Currently we are using Veeam Endpoint Backup on some clients only and I need to know if there any plans to make Endpoint Backup work with Direct Access and IPv6 before doing a rollout to all clients and purchasing licenses.
Or maybe you can suggest a workaround until it works with Endpoint Backup.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Daniel,

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunate we have nothing to share in regard to DirectAccess or IPv6 support but we track these requests very attentively. Thank you for your post.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob » 1 person likes this post

Well VAW does work over Direct Access. I have it configured on my notebook to backup to a shared folder on a nas in our data center. this does work when i'm out of the office (for example at home) and have a direct access connection. it is just not that fast. and if backup is running, it uses more or less the whole upload from my adsl. this does result in slow access to other resources over direct access like smb access, rdp etc.
have never tried to backup direct to a repository...
V-User
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Olnhoff

Post by V-User »

Thanks - You are right: VAW is working with DA/IPv6 when I configure a Shared Folder instead of a Veeam Repository for Agent Backup.

The disadvantage of using a Shared Folder is that it's not longer possible to see the Agent Backup Job in Veeam Backup and Replication console and if I want to access the Agent Backup I have to add the Shared Folder as Veeam Repository and do a re-scan to see the latest backups. Right?
Is it possible to manage and configure the Shared Folder for these Agents from Veeam Backup and Replication console (with a paid license)?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

V-User wrote:if I want to access the Agent Backup I have to add the Shared Folder as Veeam Repository and do a re-scan to see the latest backups. Right?
Yes. You can periodically rescan such repository. Backup files should become visible under Imported node.
V-User wrote:Is it possible to manage and configure the Shared Folder for these Agents from Veeam Backup and Replication console (with a paid license)?
Yup, it should work.