Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ScotofMKE
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scot Henry

Restore of SharePoint custom libraries/lists not supported?

Post by ScotofMKE »

In reading the 8.0 release notes, under the Veeam Explorer for MS SharePoint section, I see that "restore of custom document libraries and lists is not supported". Aren't virtually all libraries and lists customized if SharePoint is being used at all? If I am understanding this correctly, the Explorer for SharePoint is lacking important functionality.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore of SharePoint custom libraries/lists not support

Post by Gostev »

Hi Scot, customized is not equal to custom. I've asked VESP dev lead to provide some specific examples to make it more clear what this note is talking about. Thanks!
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Post by Kostya »

Hi Scot,
ScotofMKE wrote:Aren't virtually all libraries and lists customized if SharePoint is being used at all?
It looks like you are talking about custom views and custom columns? Correct?
Or do you mean customized list templates uploaded into SharePoint?

And one more question: do you see those customized lists/libs in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint tree?
ScotofMKE
Novice
Full Name: Scot Henry

Post by ScotofMKE »

Yes, custom views and custom columns. We are using out of the box data types. We are not importing customized list templates.
Kostya
Veeam Software

Post by Kostya »

Custom columns and its data will be restored. Views restore is not supported by Explorer for SharePoint, but if you restore deleted list then default view will be provided by SharePoint and you will be able to create views using these custom colums.
RobertBecke
Lurker
Full Name: Robert Becke

[MERGED] Feature Request: Restore custom document libraries

Post by RobertBecke »

Hello at all,

we Need to restore custom list items from our own developed .wsp Solution for SharePoint.

Our Problem is, we can´t use SharePoint Explorer for single items restore from lists and libraries that are generated with a .wsp solution. The Error is, we can´t see the lists in the Explorer.

We talked in an case (Case # 01215360 and # 01698465) about this Problem, the technical Support from veeam said, that veeam has a filled XML file, which contains the descriptions of all supported lists. Now the question is, how do i get our descriptions from our lists in this file.

I still discuss this issue with our R&D team. Probably, we could add the description of your lists to our .xml file that contains the descriptions of supported lists in order to make the restore work via VESP.
But this manipulation can provocate an unexpected behavior and not recommended. I can give you more details about this workaround later once the discussion with my R&D colleagues is finished.

I Think the way to restore such things with the supportet way ist probably a high Impact:
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/e ... h_vex.html
Please select "Working with Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server

Have anyone a solution?? Or can we get such a Feature??? I think a lot of SharePoint admins uses custom lists or libraries!!

Best Regards

Robert
recentblue
Lurker
Full Name: Lars Tönnigs

[MERGED] Granular Restore of custom lists in SharePoint 0172

Post by recentblue »

Dear all,

we were recently facing the issue that we were unable to view and restore SharePoint lists based on a custom list template that has been deployed through a farm solution.

According to VEEAM support this feature is currently not implemented. However, deploying lists based on a custom list template through a farm solution is fully supported by Microsoft and other Backup products are able to perform a granular restore of list items in these lists.

This was the original mail sent to Veeam support:

we are aware of the restrictions that were published on the veam help center web site.
However, it was not mentioned there that custom lists are not supported.

It is correct that the definitions for custom lists are not stored in the content database. However, as the definitions of out of the box lists that ship with SharePoint, the definitions of the custom lists are deployed through a farm solution into the SharePoint program directory.
This is a standardized procedure fully supported by Microsoft to deploy custom functionality.

As far as I know other Backup Tools are able to read, backup and restore such custom solutions properly, i.e. AvePoint DocAve.
http://www.cristie.se/wp-content/upload ... erview.pdf

Since I read in many forums that administrators tend to regularly be faced with the restriction that custom lists cannot be restored on a granular level with Veeam it would be helpful to add this feature to your product (especially since it is proven to be technically feasible).
It seems that in its current evolution the Veeam products for SharePoint only support out of the box installations without any customizations.
I doubt that this is a common scenario for Enterprise customers.
GuidoJ
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] SharePoint custom document library support

Post by GuidoJ »

Hi Veeam Team,
referring to case id 01793730 we would like to request following additional feature.

We are using lots of custom document libraries in our SharePoint solutions.
We would like to see the ability to browse and restore custom document libraries and documents among them through the SharePoint-Explorer.

Thanks,

Guido Jeuken
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Post by csinetops »

Same here. I opened a case about a year ago for pretty much the same issue. We also use custom document library types (Avepoint Docave Connector libraries) to present blob file data into SharePoint. Veeam explorer can't see the libraries to restore the data.
Kostya
Veeam Software

Re: [MERGED] SharePoint custom document library support

Post by Kostya »

Guido Jeuken wrote:We are using lots of custom document libraries in our SharePoint solutions.
We would like to see the ability to browse and restore custom document libraries and documents among them through the SharePoint-Explorer.
Could you please give us more details on what customizations do you use? Is it sort of additional colums in your templates or it's something advanced?
stevesmtb
Lurker
Full Name: Stephen Hall

Post by stevesmtb »

We also need a fix for this - it's extremely common to deploy document libraries and lists via a farm solution. This makes these objects 'custom' it has nothing to do with what is actually 'customised' within the library or list. It could be a bog standard library but deployed via WSP to provide consistency across sites.

PLease can you provide a workaround so that we can see and restore items in these lists and libraries - without this Veeam for SharePoint is useless!
rurouni
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by rurouni »

Hi,
We would also be intrested by the ability to restore custom libraries since all our SharePoint sites use custom enterprise templates.

We performed some tests with veeam last week to decide if Veeam was capable enough to restore:
- objects
- Sites
- Server (Disaster Recovery Scenario).

The few tests concluded that user objects could be restored and Server Disaster recovery was working well. However Site restore failed because of Custom Templates according to support (case 01903292).

So we cannot Rely on veeam Backup Only to perform Granular restorations.

Regards
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Post by csinetops »

I'll tag onto this thread and add some additional info as we ran into this.

We use a solution from Avepoint called Docave connector. It creates " custom" document libraries and allows you to connect them into file shares. When restoring VIA Veeam Exporer for Sharepoint, Veeam can't even see the custom libraries so you can't restore them, even if you go through adding the BLOB stores etc.

I raised a ticket a few years ago about this. Veeam looked at the libraries and said they couldn't restore as they were custom.
winndm
Lurker
Full Name: Dave Winn

[MERGED] Feature Request: SharePoint Custom Libraries and Li

Post by winndm »

I noted in another thread and on the Explorer for SharePoint Limitations page, that custom libraries and lists can't be handled.

I have a data protection application which deploys as a solution for the farm and gets enabled at the site level as well.
All Libraries and Lists are created with this custom type, which controls access to items.

We have Backup Exec 2010 R3 and with that product I can see the libraries, lists, and items.

Is this a feature that is being actively worked?
I can recover items through SharePoint's deleted items for a period, but if I had to go back a long time, I'd want to pull from an archived tape, and I'm going to Veeam as the solution for the environment soon.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, we have added support for custom lists and libraries deployed with .WSP custom solutions in the current branch, so this functionality will be made available in one of the future updates. Thanks!
abeiter
Lurker

Post by abeiter »

Any word on when support for custom list columns are going to be added? We use a Managed Metadata column in most of our lists, and at this point, we can't rely on Veeam to protect our SharePoint environment.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No particular ETA at the moment.