Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ANI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Nicolleau

Remote Backup with one year retention

Post by ANI »

Hi,

I am working on Backup architecture and administration and i have a new project.
I am studying the possibility to backup remote site with physical servers in centralized in our DataCenter.

I am trying Veeam Endpoint and it seems to work fine.
This backup is used to backup only specific and important folders so we are in "File Level Restore" backup mode.
For my test i have only 15 days retention but according to last meeting on the project, the retention could be one year.
I have a doubt on the capability of Veeam Endpoint to make merge successfully after one year of backup.

Any experience or suggestion.

Thanks a lot
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Remote Backup with one year retention

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Merging will affect only .vbk and the subsequent .vib, that is not a problem. The real problem with 365 days retention is that if any .vib gets corrupted you'll not be able to restore anything past that .vib. I suggest you to start a new backup chain (will require you to reconfigure the job) once in two or three weeks to lower the risk.

Thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Anthony,

If your project has a bit more time, you might want to learn about version 2.0 (which will rename VEB to Veeam Agents for Windows) which will give you more scheduling capabilities and application aware processing. More information can be found here: https://go.veeam.com/launch-event

Brgds,

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not sure if you have Veeam B&R or not, but if you do, just point your VEB jobs to a backup repository, continue using 14 days of retention policy and configure a backup copy job in Veeam B&R with GFS retention policy. This will allow you to have 1 year of retention policy and store data in the archival repository.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I have a doubt on the capability of Veeam Endpoint to make merge successfully after one year of backup.
Indeed, that is the reason why long incremental backup chains are not recommended. Speaking about VEB, it should handle merge but I assume it will be very slow it terms of performance.