Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AnotherForumUser
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John

How do I use dedicated, direct-cabled NIC's for migrations?

Post by AnotherForumUser »

I've just started using Backup & Replication 9.0. I'm using it to Quick Migrate and Replicate VM's between two ESX 6.0 hosts managed by vcenter. Veeam is running in a VM on one of these hosts.

The hosts have several 1 GB NIC's each. These NIC's are plugged into the same physical switch as the end users. The virtual NIC for each VM is connected to a network that includes all these 1 GB NIC's.

Each host also has a 10 GB NIC. I have the hosts directly cabled together from 10 GB NIC to 10 GB NIC (no switch).

What do I need to do to get Veeam to use the 10 GB NIC and only the 10 GB NIC for migration and replication?

Is it enough to configure the NIC's with IP addresses in the same subnet? (Will VCenter or Veeam magically figure out that the hosts have a 10 GB link?)
Do I need to add a second virtual NIC to the Veeam VM that is connected to a 10 GB NIC?
Do I need to add a second virtual NIC to all my VM's that is connected to a 10 GB NIC?

Thanks!

-John
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: How do I use dedicated, direct-cabled NIC's for migratio

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It should work. Create another virtual network in a separate vSwitch using 10Gb adapters on both hosts, create target proxy VM on the second host, add vNICs from 10Gb vSwitch to both Veeam server and proxy, specify the network as a preferred one. Please keep in mind that in this scenario your Veeam server will serve as a proxy, so adjust VM resources accordingly.

Thanks