Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
folerx
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Daniel Kaiser

Reported compression ration - file to tape - 1x

Post by folerx »

hi
I transfer files (pdf, tif, jpg, word bla bla) from usb external hdds to tapes for archiving. I check all compression boxes.
Veeam report 1x compression ratio, or no compression at all. Veeam cant know what tape drive do when write and how compress data so this is reason why report 1x?
If tape drive compress data, will veeam correct report free tape space?

tnx

picture

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Reported compression ration - file to tape - 1x

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Daniel,

Since data is compressed at target (by tape drive itself), VBR doesnt know the exact compression ratio. You can check the difference between the actual size of files and used space on tape media
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

ok..NO COMPRESSION AT ALL...
Source usb 3.0 external hdd e:\ data size reported by windows explorer 1.08TB. Free space reported on tape reported by veeam 284GB.
Now I have more data on tape than on source hdd? Data on hdd have ntfs compression enabled and show 919gb. Even ntfs compression reduce data by 10%. I use encryption in veeam.
Bottleneck: target?

interesting is drop in transfer speed, see picture:

any help?
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

I try to add new files and after 166gb veeam want new tape. So no compression confirmed.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Daniel,

What type of files are you backing up and what tape media/drive generation are you using? Thanks.
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

Ibm lto5. Files is graphic formats like tif, jpeg, psd, pdf, word, excel, fonts. Strange that compression is zero. Now i run new file to tape without veeam encryption enabled. Will see.
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

I try to make backup one of this hdds with macrium reflect, compression set to high. Very little saving. Maybe is secret that partition is already compressed with ntfs so here is maximum number of data?
Now files is writen to tape without compression checked in veeam. Will report back.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Now i run new file to tape without veeam encryption enabled. Now files is writen to tape without compression checked in veeam.
I thought you were backing up just bunch of ordinary files, such tif, jpeg, psd, etc. However, the quoted statements made me think that you're archiving compressed and encrypted backup files. If so, you're unlikely to see any data reduction at all. Thanks.