Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: VanillaMastermind

[SQL Server] Restoring option - BLOB stores

Post by VanillaMastermind »

I occasionally need to restore a copy of a database back onto the original server with a different name, such as "DatabaseName_RESTORED" by using "Restore to another server" in the SQL Explorer. I was just testing a restore, and noticed a new option I don't remember seeing before. On the screen where you specify the mdf and ldf file of the restored database, I now see a "BLOB stores" path that needs to be filled. We recently installed Veeam 9 Update 2, so I'm not sure if this is a new feature or if I somehow never saw it before.

What do I enter for "BLOB stores"? I would normally use something like "DatabaseName_RESTORED.mdf" and "DatabaseName_log_RESTORED.ldf" for the data and log files. When I click "browse" on BLOB Stores, it brings me to the root folder such as "D:\\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\

Also, when does this "BLOB stores" option show? I only see it showing when restoring from 1 server.
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast

Re: [SQL Server] Restoring option - BLOB stores

I have narrowed this down in my environment. Out of quite a few servers from SQL 2005 - SQL 2016, I have only found a single one, running SQL Server 2014 Developer edition, which is forcing me to pick a BLOB store in Veeam for a restore. Why is this only happening on one server? Is it a server setting? The "production partner" of this server is configured identical (except on SQL Standard Edition), and this does not have the option for a BLOB store.

By default, this BLOB store selection is set to the same file name as the log file. Veeam will not let me proceed and give an error that the file names are the same. If I give the BLOB store an arbitrary name, I get an error "The directory name is invalid". Any suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The ability to specify path for BLOB stores is available if the backed up database has BLOB stores configured.
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast

I have done a default SQL Server installation on this machine. I don't see how BLOB support is a configurable option. Where is this? When I do see this option in Veeam, how do I perform a restore? Right now I can't do a SQL restore in Veeam as I can't seem to put the blob file anywhere. I have to do a FLR restore for now.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can check whether BLOB stores are configured for the original database right in the Veeam Explorer for SQL Server, when you select the particular database in the databases tree. The database info will list the corresponding path right after the paths for primary and secondary database files. The fact that in your case the log folder is returned as BLOB store path might be a bug, to verify that we need to review log files, so I recommend contacting support with this.
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast

Post by VanillaMastermind » 1 person likes this post

Something definitely doesn't seem right here. When I browse the databases in the Explorer for SQL Server, it is showing the BLOB store as having the same exact name of the log file.

I have opened support ticket 01915589.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This was confirmed to be an issue with the returned folder path. Will be addressed in the next version.