Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Marcus
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcus MaC

Endpoint Backup Jobs Errors

Post by Marcus »

Each day we backup our vm to a NAS box.

We some times get the following error have any of you been getting the same.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Code: Select all

Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{acdfbbc4-4980-4f3b-b52e-7b0bea8cd344}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_FREEZE]. Error code: [0x800423f2].
Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{acdfbbc4-4980-4f3b-b52e-7b0bea8cd344}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_FREEZE]. Error code: [0x800423f2].
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Endpoint Backup Jobs Errors

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Marcus,

It seems there is an issue with the VSS writer specifically for SQL. This could have quite some reasons. But I am not sure if I understand what is happening...

Did you install Veeam Endpoint Backup inside the guest VM? Or are you trying to backup something from the host? Please tell us a bit more about your configuration

Thanks

Mike
Marcus
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcus MaC

Post by Marcus »

Hi Mike,

I have endpoint on the host server and backing up to a NAS box. I am doing a backup of 2 vm's from the host to the NAS box
Thanks for your help.
Mark
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Do you have any third party backup software installed? Additionally, try to run ‘vssadmin list writers’ cmd command after VEB job fails and post the output to this thread. Thanks.