Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
folerx
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Daniel Kaiser

How veeam send files to tape - random or ascending?

Post by folerx »

hi
I transfer some folders to tape. In disk activity process VeeamAgent.exe pick files by ascending order. Is that order how it writes folders to tape? :?:
We have folders from 0001-5000 which is 2TB, tape have 1.4TB. Can I send all 5000 folders to tape and when veeam ask for new tape simply stop job? Last folder is incomplete and my tape is filled to maximum :) . After that I can define new job which start from that last incomplete folder further to the end?

tnx
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: How veeam send files to tape - random or ascending?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Daniel,
Yes, VBR will start copying folders and when the first tape is full it will ask to insert another tape. You can stop the job keeping files only in one tape, but the job will not be completed successfully.
I would just use another tape to finish that job. If you want to use 2 jobs I would suggest to split the folders between the jobs to have them successfully finished.
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

ok. maybe you can write this behaviour in user guide. :D
This is good logic and can use 100% space on tape. I dont need to make test job and wait to see how many gb really can fill up tape. Simply send all folders and wait.
I dont want to spread folders/files across tapes. Will write on tape label CD0001-1854, than second CD1855-... :D

tnx
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, but if all folders will not fit in one tape, you will need another.
Did you find contradictory description in the user guide?
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

no contradictory description but this behaviour how veeam send files to tapes is not explained.
every my job is on one cd as whole so i dont want to split one job across tapes.
You can add explanation that veeam writes files to tapes continuous, in ascending order and add some video sample. I am pretty sure that I am not only one which want to fill up tape with some folders but never dont know how many can to put in job.

Another problem is that reported free tape space is not correct. Maybe tape drive send wrong info to veeam. When first job is 100% finished reported free space is 166gb. I add another 145Gb of data and job stopped asking for new tape. Reported free space is now 65Gb. :shock: I think that drive want to have some "spare" space on tape but this can be problem because you never know how many Gb you can send to tape!!! This is reason why veeam logic to send ascending folder by folder is good for me.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I`ve got your point.
Another problem is that reported free tape space is not correct. Maybe tape drive send wrong info to veeam. When first job is 100% finished reported free space is 166gb. I add another 145Gb of data and job stopped asking for new tape. Reported free space is now 65Gb. :shock: I think that drive want to have some "spare" space on tape but this can be problem because you never know how many Gb you can send to tape!!! This is reason why veeam logic to send ascending folder by folder is good for me.
Note that tape can have hardware compression + some tape vendors reserve some space in the end of the tape protecting it from writing, usually not 65GB though.
What`s your tape vendor?
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

Ibm ts3100
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

If tape drive provides wrong information about free space, I would recommend to contact vendor. If you think it`s Veeam`s thing, our support can help.
Answering the topic question, tape server writes files on the tape not based on file size, but in order they are added to the job. In other words there is no special sorting.
Thanks!
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

tape server writes files on the tape not based on file size, but in order they are added to the job. In other words there is no special sorting.

Another detail for user guide.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the feedback!
folerx
Expert

Post by folerx »

No prob.