Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dr.bergs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Berg

Veeam Backup and exchange.

Post by dr.bergs »

Hi Veeam Team
I have the following questions regarding backing up of a Microsoft Exchange Server. In an agent-based way, the backup agent flushes the LOG files after a succesful, so that we keep storage for LOG files at a minimum. LOG files are also used in a restore situation to minimize a potential data loss.
Since Veeam doesn’t flush LOG files, how should a customer approach this? I’m aware of the fact that Veeam do a VSS-integrated backup of Exchange, so that all data is consistent. But the point of having databases and log files, is to control the amount of data that we could potentially loose…
So – let’s say we do a backup of the exchange system at 1 PM. Next backup occurs at 4PM. In between here, we lose the datastore on which the database are stored upon. Normally I would restore the datastore and commit LOG files that is still available on the Exchange server because they are stored on another datastore. This ensures that my data loss is at a minimum or next to nothing.
But since Veeam doesn’t (in my understanding) flush the LOG files, I would have an inconsistent system or?

Kind Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Veeam Backup and exchange.

Post by Gostev »

dr.bergs wrote:Since Veeam doesn’t flush LOG files
Hi, actually we do, since version 2.0 released back in 2008. If you take a look at user interface controls on the Guest Processing step of backup job wizard carefully, you will even see the corresponding controls that allow you to modify logs flushing behavior.