Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Trelor
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Veeam refusing to fix bug in a timely manner

Post by Trelor »

All,

I have logged a support case (# 01898288 ) with Veeam about a bug ( "Unable to allocate memory for storage metadata bank." ) related to using the stand alone utilities to restore a backup without having Veeam installed locally on a machine. However the "help" I got from support was no help at all, I was told that they are aware of this issue and have been working on a fix. Mind you this feature has been out since, well as long I have been using Veeam. Support told me that the engineers are aware that the file that I was trying to open, ~3.3TB was too large for their 32-bit programs, and they are working on a fix for this until then all I can do is wait for the files to be patched. I don't see how hard it would be to port the 64-bit code from the primary application to the stand alone for the extraction tools? Has anyone else encountered this, or does anyone else have a work around for this? I want to be able to have my Veeam Extract tools on my external media and be able to recover without having to use the entire Veeam Suite, which would need to be installed if we had to go to our full disaster plan.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam refusing to fix bug

Post by Gostev »

Trelor wrote:Support told me that the engineers are aware that the file that I was trying to open, and they are working on a fix for this
So just to set the record straight, the subject of this post is the false statement?
Trelor
Enthusiast

Post by Trelor »

I was told over the phone by your rep that you will possible fix the issue if you can find a fix and there will be no further update and my case will be closed. This has been a known issue since V6 (Possibly earlier as I only have used V6 and higher), so it seems to me that you have no interest in fixing this long standing bug. Do you find it acceptable to allow a bug to stay in production software for over 5 years and keep using the We are working on a possible fix as an answer? I stand by my statement that you are refusing to fix a bug.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This does not change the fact that your statement is false, because no one at Veeam actually refused you in addressing the issue. Posting false statements is not a good way to start participating in this community.

64-bit extract utility is a feature that is prioritized among other pending features according to the amount of requests.
Trelor
Enthusiast

Re: Veeam refusing to fix bug in a timely manner

Post by Trelor »

I have fixed the post title, do you have any idea on when the release will be out Veeam is a 64-bit program and the actual backup /restore program is clearly 64-bit and has been for a long time? I can't imagine that the code port would take more than a few months to complete. I am sure you can understand the frustration of having a known issue around for years with no ETA for a fix. I am also sure you can understand the value in the stand alone utilities (when they work).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It was cut last minute from the previous two releases due to lack of time. I've been persistent putting it back in every following release though :) unfortunately the R&D sub team which can take care of this feature is also the busiest one and is involved in all high priority features...
Trelor
Enthusiast

Post by Trelor » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for being more helpful than the tech support request I had in Gostev, I will "hold you to" fixing this and if you are ever in the NJ/NY area I will get you a drink for the help :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Bah, I was in that very area literally the day before you posted :)
haslund
VeeaMVP
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

Just keep in-mind that the Extract utility extracts raw files - for example VMDK directly to your Windows file system, not back to your vSphere production system.
Due to this, you might be better off saving a Backup & Replication installer together with the backup files, since this will allow you to both extract the backups AND send them back into your vSphere datastores.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com