Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
scott.e

Veeam v9 File to Disk --> Backup repository to Tape (GFS)

Post by scott.e »

Hello, our current environment has 3 backup sets as detailed below:

Exchange to local disk
Datacenter 1 to local disk
Datacenter 2 to remote disk

There is one backup copy process:

Datacenter 2 copy to local disk

And currently thes backup tape sets:

Exchange daily
Exchange weekly
Datacenter 1 daily
Datacenter 1 weekly
Datacenter 1 daily
Datacenter 1 weekly

The backups jobs are forever forward incrementals with 7 restore points.
Currently one weekly tape set per month is moved to a monthly pool to be saved as monthly backups.

What I am looking at doing is leaving the initial backups 'as is' but using GFS for the weekly/monthly/yearly retention.
The problem is, I still need to write the weekly incremental data to tape as well.
As it stands, I can't see a way of doing this without actually backing up the full backup along with the incrementals as 'incremental data' along side the GFS backup up the full backup seperately, meaning the incremental has to backup the full backup vbk along with the incremental vib files.

Is there a way to get both without doubling up like this?

What we are trying to achieve (in case its hard to follow the logic above) is:

Daily incrementals to disk (7 retention points) which are also backed up to tape (4 weeks worth of incrementals)
GFS weekly/monthly/yearly full to tape. (4 weeklies, 24 monthlies, annual yearlies)

I'm probably missing something basic but any help would be greatly appreciated. :D
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam v9 File to Disk --> Backup repository to Tape (GFS

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Scott,

It's true - in current version GFS media pool does not support incremental backups. If you want to backup incremental on a daily basis, you should stick to ‘simple’ media pool and regular tape job. For long term archiving GFS media pool is a better solution.

You can keep dailies in Simple media pool and Monthly/Yearly backups in GFS, then you will have only one duplicate of full backup in a month.
scott.e

Post by scott.e »

Thanks for your quick reply Dima. Would I not actually have 4 duplicate full backups in a month though? 1 for each of the weekly backup sets that include the incrementals?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Only one duplicated full in a month, which is going to be erased eventually because of your simple media pool’s 4-week retention. Monthly GFS job runs once a month, so it overlaps a simple backup with 4-week retention only once.