Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

VEB + MS SQL 2014

Post by ekisner »

So I have a bit of an issue. I opened a ticket with Veeam and was told it was an MS SQL issue. I've opened a ticket with MS, and they're telling me it's a Veeam issue. I agree with Veeam that it's an MS SQL issue.

My issue in brief is this:
A backup from last night will be missing 5+ days worth of data (in fact I can find no rhyme or reason for the number of days of data loss, it is quite variable through my testing). The backup is successful, both in the Veeam job log and in related windows events (ie that a database's transaction logs have been backed up). The server is physical and thus being protected by VEB.

My testing process is this:
1) Restore the MDF and LDF from most recent backup with "Copy To" functionality
2) Attach to either the same server with a different name, or a different server with no name change
3) Select from a table in both the production and restored copies of the database and identify missing rows (easily done as I order by a datetime of entry)

My troubleshooting steps tested:
1) Issue a checkpoint on the database, then issue a manual backup in VEB, then repeat testing process
2) Use an MSSQL-initiated backup (creating a .BAK file), then issue manual backup in VEB, then repeat testing process

The first troubleshooting step does not resolve the issue. The second does.

The MS tech seems fixated on it being an issue with backups. I have tried several times to point out that backups are in fact a red herring in this case, and that the issue is MS SQL not committing dirty pages to disk, but it's tough slogging.

Does anyone have any feedback, suggestions, other courses of action, or anything that might help us out?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEB + MS SQL 2014

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Erik,

Can you share a support case for a review? Thanks in advance.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Post by ekisner »

Just about thought I was losing my mind. Was positive I had opened a case. So I went into My Account and into my case history and... nothing.

Then I remembered VEB is a free product and you have to open support cases from the VEB application itself. A quick look through my email has revealed that the case number is 01900028; I spoke in error however, at no point did Veeam say it was an MS issue. My mind does like to play a few tricks on me.

My ticket to Veeam was with regards to the SQL server database properties not showing an accurate backup date. That got resolved, then I noticed data consistency issues in spite of the backup. Since the backups are working, and the database properties show correct dates, it to me feels that it cannot be anything other than MS SQL.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Erik. Let me try to find the case associated with your account. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Erik,

To make sure I got this right from the support case details: the SQL is not a part of always on, right? Also, can you clarify what OS are we talking about? Any chance you are running SQL server on a workstation OS?

P.S. The case you shared is correct, thanks!