Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Grab SQL .BAK files

Post by Zew »

Hey guys,

So I had a bit of a debate with my DBA... He wants to keep his Native SQL backups (From SQL server to a simple separate storage unit, we use as basic storage for whatever)

I recently had to make a bunch of system, network, and storage changes, and this required me to move this repo, his native backups were 800Gigs well over 85% of the repo.

I checked this out. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/how ... rview.html

Currently AAP is enabled on our SQL server backup job. His primary reason was working with .BAK files (native SQL backup extention.)

Is it possible to get this from my SQL backups from Veeam?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Grab SQL .BAK files

Post by PTide »

Hi,

So, you want to get a .bak file out of Veeam backup, is that correct? If that's the case then you can perform instant recovery of a VM and then run SQL native backup inside that VM and grab the resulting .bak
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And what does he do with the .bak files? Any chance Veeam Explorer for SQL Server could provide more extensive functionality?
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Thanks PTide!

Good idea!

Foggy, unno... makes him feel warm inside. I said the sme thing, even the last time he needed something with granular accuracy it came right back to my Veeam backups anyway.

I'll just make this write for him to be able to grab these files that way, he just wanted a most recent .BAK file always on hand for I guess the native restore options of SQL. I brought up the same thing, why do use manually when we have paid support third party product which does all the work and has been tried and tested and proven. Veeam just works..
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Another argument is that transaction log backup feature makes it possible to create .bak for any arbitrary point it time/transaction.

Thanks
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

PTide, but the only was is via the way you mentioned in your initial reply by doing an instant recovery and then run SQL native backup inside that VM and grab the resulting .bak

Or is there a nicer way to do it direct from Veeam?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I meant that if you need .bak for some particular transaction you can perform Instant Recovery of the VM with a subsequent restore to point in time or restore to specific transaction operation and then get .bak for that specific point in time.

Thanks