Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

new repository questions/advise

Post by bjdboyer »

I have 2 physical proxy servers. One of them as 2 large repository drives assigned to it from an IBM V3700 storage system. I now have another 48TB of space in the V3700 for reposiroty. My questions and seeking advice are:

1. should I allocate this additional space to the existing proxy/repository server or should I allocate this new repository to the other proxy. splitting the repository load. Both proxy servers have access to the V3700.

and 2. should I allocate a single 48TB volume or split it in to 2 or more? I'm thinking a single space.

I don't use scale-out repository.
TIA,
Bill
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: new repository questions/advise

Post by foggy »

1. It depends on whether your current repository server (i.e. first proxy) is capable of additional load it would be assigned by the jobs writing to the second repository. Since it will be a separated repository in Veeam B&R UI anyway, you can use the second proxy as repository server for it. Keep in mind the load you're assigning to the storage itself as well (can be controlled by the concurrent tasks limits on each of the repositories).
2. Single space is typically recommended from ease of management perspective.
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

Post by bjdboyer »

The 2nd proxy was originally setup as a fail over if the first proxy/repository failed. We could just remap the storage to the 2nd and change the backup jobs. But we're adding a new customer to the backups and it's around 60 VM's with 10TB of storage. Both proxy servers are also mapped over the storage network to the VMFS datastores so i get SAN backups. But they are also connected over the network at 10Gb to each other. So I'm going to make a new 48TB repository on the 2nd proxy server just to spread the load. The V3700 storage can handle the I/O itself. Can still fail over the repository volume(s) to the other in a proxy server failure. They are physical servers.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sounds reasonable.