Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
EvoTom
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Where does Veeam enumerate Oracle Databases

Post by EvoTom »

I am am trying to backup our Oracle database servers and is mostly working. For a few VMs I am getting a warning saying "Failed to retrieve Oracle database (SID: asdf) settings required to perform archived logs backup. Oracle database instance state is not valid for property collection."

This SID that it is finding i think was a test database that has since been removed. I does find the live database on the server and backs that up fine. I was just wondering how I remove the errogenous entry. I've looked in the /etc/oratab file and the pfiles and spfiles in the dbs directory.

These are Linux VM's running CentOS 6.7.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Where does Veeam enumerate Oracle Databases

Post by foggy »

You can clean up obsolete databases using these instructions.
EvoTom
Enthusiast

Post by EvoTom »

Thanks but do you have instructions for Linux VMs?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No, but you could check inventory and oratab file and also each home registered there (specifically dbs folders) for an orphaned records/files.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Have you checked the Oracle Inventory where all ORA_HOMES are registered? Maybe you have different versions, each of them with a different ORA_HOME. Look into /etc/oraInst.loc and then $ORA_INV/Contents_XML/inventory.xml
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
fernando.laguna
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Luis Fernando Laguna

Post by fernando.laguna »

Guys, I'm having the same issue on a Linux VM, any one has an idea how to solve it?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Luis, have you checked places mentioned in two previous posts?
manitowoc
Novice

Post by manitowoc »

Hi all,

Did you find a solution for this problem?
I have the same error while backupping a SAP system on SLES 11, and Oracle 12.1
I verified all these files, did a relink and lsinventory but the problem persists.

Thanks.
Regards
Frenkenfoerder
Lurker
Full Name: Frank Scheliga

Post by Frenkenfoerder »

Any solutions?
Same here...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Frank, I recommend contacting support with this. In case of SAP is installed, Veeam B&R v9 could incorrectly detect its backup files as separate databases, though this should be already addressed in v9.5.
EMPB
Influencer

[MERGED] SAP/Oracle on Linux OS backup

Post by EMPB »

We are trying to backup Oracle database that is used by SAP and is running on Linux.

Working with Veeam support we could identify that Veeam doesn't recognize the Oracle installation, thus an application level restore won't work.
But we din't get any information how it checks/identifies a oracle installation.

In the backup log it shows:
[02.10.2018 10:02:22] <27> Info [AutoSnapshot] Collecting Oracle database information
[02.10.2018 10:02:22] <27> Info OracleOverallInfo is empty

[02.10.2018 10:02:42] <27> Info Text to backup: '<OibSummary> ................. HasOracle="False"
[02.10.2018 10:02:53] <27> Info Backing up OracleInfo
[02.10.2018 10:02:53] <27> Info [OIB] Updating OIB, id '73799298-7c8d-43ec-aec1-9b1bc55610b9', hasOracle 'False':'False'

Application aware backup is enabled and required credentials for GuestOS and Oracle are set.

Had anyone success backing up Oracle/SAp DB? Or was able to fix similar issue?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community!

Would you kindly provide the support case ID please?

Regarding the issue itself - did the functionality work before? Also please double-check these limitations.

Thanks!
EMPB
Influencer

Post by EMPB »

Hi PTide,

I talked to support and this issue has been fixed in Update2, We run 9.5 Update 3 (9.5.0.1536). Yes thank You, I checked the limitations.
I backed up Oracle aware before but never tried/checked if Application Item restore for Oracle is working. To answer your question, I would say no.

Case #03221305 .

Thanks.

Oracle Enterprise version 12.1.0.2.0
OS is:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.10 (Santiago),
Linux usmp-vm-sbx 2.6.32-754.2.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 3 16:37:52 EDT 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

VMware VMtools version: 10.1.10.63510 (build-6082533)
vsphere: 6.0 (7967664)
VCenter: 6.5 (8815520)
EMPB
Influencer

Post by EMPB »

I actually just noticed at testing credentials that something is wrong with the credentials, though it is not the user/password but the format. The credentials were stored in the standard format and not in the Linux format.

The backup didn't complain about the credentials though, maybe there is a bug in this release to not show an issue with the credentials format to get a fully application aware backup.

After now having a fully application aware backup (the backup now finally shows in Application items in Veeam Enterprise console, also the Oracle Explorer no longer fails with "sequence contains more than one matching element").

I guess this message which is still in the backup logs is a bit misleading?:
Guest OS Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit) is not supported
[SnapshotLsnInfoCollector] guest OS 'rhel6_64Guest' is not supported

But the log now shows HasOracle="True" instead of HasOracle="False"
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

I actually just noticed at testing credentials that something is wrong with the credentials, though it is not the user/password but the format. The credentials were stored in the standard format and not in the Linux format.
This one is not clear, would you elaborate, please? Were the linux credentials shown as if they belonged to Windows (domain\user format), or was it something else?

also the Oracle Explorer no longer fails with "sequence contains more than one matching element").
You haven't mentioned this before. Although the issue has gone, I'd suggest to contact the support team (if you havn't done so already) again so they can take a look and take necessary actions. You can refer to this thread that has a very similar error.

The backup didn't complain about the credentials though, maybe there is a bug in this release to not show an issue with the credentials format to get a fully application aware backup.
That behaviour is known, we are not very happy with it either, so it will be changed soon. Thanks for heads up!

Guest OS Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit) is not supported
[SnapshotLsnInfoCollector] guest OS 'rhel6_64Guest' is not supported
Provided that both your Oracle and CentOS versions meet the requirements (scroll to the very bottom of the page to find the Oracle part), I would suggest you to contact support team on that too.

But the log now shows HasOracle="True" instead of HasOracle="False"
This message just indicates that Veeam has detected find Oracle instance on the VM.

Thanks!