Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cgrvy
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ciaran Garvey

Design - remote sobr repo

Post by cgrvy »

We have a primary site using SOBR with local SAN volumes being used as a target - its working well. We have a remote site with a virtual machine with Veeam transport agent installed and a couple of large disks attached. We are backing up a couple of vm's at the remote site to these disks - we are also replicating from the primary site to these disks.

My question is, should I present up a few more disks to this VM, and then in Veeam at the primary site add them as a SOBR and point my replication jobs to the SOBR for easy of management etc? What will happen in the case of the primary site being lost - is it simply a matter of installing Veeam and bringing in the configuration file?

Many thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Design - remote sobr repo

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, once you fire up a new backup server and import configuration, you will be able to restore/continue backup. Whether you need a SOBR in remote location depends on whether you're going to benefit from functionality it provides. Ease of management is only one of the features.
cgrvy
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ciaran Garvey

Post by cgrvy »

Actually - version 9.0 does not support replication jobs to SOBR.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Right, I supposed you were talking about backup copy jobs that sort of replicate backups to a secondary location.