Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Cloud connect Monthly backup

Post by Robvil »

Hi,

Veeam version 9.

I´m using cloud backup to replicate my backup data to a cloud provider and currently i have my retension set to 30 days plus 5 monthly backups.
It surprised me that when a new month starts, Veeam replicates ALL data to the cloud again - which in my case is many TB. This way my cloud space is growing extremly high and even with a 100Mbit/s connection it takes nearly 5 days to complete.
That is not good.

I´m comming from a TSM backup - with forvever incremental - and at one point at least it´s better in the way, that it does not recopy all data again, but only once.
Can´t Veeam do anything like this?

Regards
Robert
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Cloud connect Monthly backup

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Robert,
Robvil wrote:I´m using cloud backup to replicate my backup data...
I suppose you mean backup copy job, not replication one.
Robvil wrote:Veeam replicates ALL data to the cloud again - which in my case is many TB.
Do you have backup copy active full option checked? In this case all data is taken from original backups.
Thanks!
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Post by Robvil »

i have Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments enabled.
this was the setting my cloud provider said, i should use.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

In this case the described behavior is expected.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Robert, in order to have only incrementals going over the wire, disable that option and the backup copy job will synthesize the GFS points using the data it already has available at the service provider. Ideally, on Cloud Connect a full backup copy should only be done on day1.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Luca, as Robert mentioned that was VCP who insisted on using active full backup copies.
Do you know if Veeam gives such a recommendation to VCPs or it is they own idea?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

We have never recommended any specific backup method to any provider, as this should be a choice made by the customer, simply if you prefer to have active fulls you would pay more storage, but that's it. In general, we promoted the fact that on cloud connect you can do forever incremental, which is the opposite of the scenario described here.
The only guess I can make is the provider is using a generic deduplication appliance that doesn't like too much synthetic operations, but to be honest pushing users to do active fulls thus consuming more storage space is unfair. Unless the provider is then billing the deduplicated value of the storage consumption, and not the value as seen by Veeam console, but still as we can see here in this thread, there are also issues about bandwidth and backup duration.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the detailed reply, Luca!

Since Robert`s plan is to have 5 monthly backups, the taking data for full backup directly from source will not result in bigger cloud repository consumption thus payment will be the same if traffic is not charged by VCP.
Probably the service doesn`t want additional load on their repository, especially if that`s a deduplication appliance, as was mentioned.

To sum up, Robert, you may disable the "active full" option with no issues, especially if the job run takes 5 days and TBs of traffic.