Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
johnlong
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Product guide and migration

Post by johnlong »

Has a manual been released? I'm looking for info on how this can be used to help migrate an on prem exchange server to office 365.

Thanks.
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Re: Product guide and migration

Post by Kostya » 1 person likes this post

johnlong wrote:Has a manual been released? I'm looking for info on how this can be used to help migrate an on prem exchange server to office 365.
John, just a quick note: Backup & Replication 9.0 can be used to restore mail items from an on prem Exchange backup to Office 365 mailbox. Try to play with VEX "Restore to..." wizard. You just have to specify O365 mailbox, O365 admin account and use "outlook.office365.com" as a CAS server.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff » 1 person likes this post

Just as you notice there, it is 100% possible to backup on-prem Exchange and restore to Office 365 or even vice versa so, this is a great use case of the tool. I will be building some further documentation outside of the general user guide around this closer to when the product is GA. Keep the feedback coming!
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

That makes sense. So I basically setup office 365 exchange and create all my users on it, then flip the switch from on prem to online and simply restore from a backup to O365 to move all the users items. Is that basically it?

Thanks,
John
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff » 2 people like this post

That's pretty much the procedure :) You'd need to communicate with your users the time of the final synchronization and during this time they should expect mail services to be unavailable.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

vClintWyckoff wrote:That's pretty much the procedure :) You'd need to communicate with your users the time of the final synchronization and during this time they should expect mail services to be unavailable.
Yeah, I glossed over a few of the minor details. LOL

Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to the finalized product!