Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vsb2211
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad Allen

Backup Copy issues

Post by vsb2211 »

So my goal is rather easy, but I'm having a difficult time getting Veeam set up correctly, perhaps somebody out there can help me out or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

My ultimate goal is to backup my VM's to a disk based backup device (Synology Diskstation), then I want a mirrored backup copy sent to a Fixed USB disk and then I want a limited backup copy to go to a portable USB disk that is swapped every morning and taken off site.

Couple of issues I'm running in to with my configuration though. The disk based backup device is the only thing that seems to function somewhat okay, it's set to only keep 14 restore points but it's up to 18 now for some reason. The other USB disks I'm copying to always seem to have issues. The Fixed USB disk was functioning fine for a while but then it ran out of space...looked at the properties and it had something like 100 restore points for each VM even though it's set to only keep 14 restore points?? Also, for some reason I have to set a copy interval for the backup copies which is currently set to every 1 day starting at 12AM, why do I need this?? Here is the way I would like it to work and I don't know how to set this up.

Disk based backup starts at 9PM every day and stores 14 restore points, Fixed USB Backup copy starts at whatever time the Disk based backup finishes (not on some static copy interval setting) and basically mirrors what is on the original disk based backup. The swapped USB drive is wiped before the copy job starts and veeam copies the most recent full backup and most recent incremental for each vm so I have one good copy of all the VM's. I swap out the USB drive in the morning and at 9pm the whole process starts over again, etc etc.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy issues

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do you have active/synthetic fulls configured? If yes then it should be the reason why you have 18 restore points instead of 14. Also intermediate full won't allow you to have an exact copy of the original disk backups, only full + 13 incrementals.
vsb2211
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad Allen

Post by vsb2211 »

I do have "Active" full backup configured to run on Fridays. I also have it to not remove deleted VM's and I may have a couple of TEST VM's I was messing with that may have been backed up and are no longer there.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

vsb2211 wrote:The disk based backup device is the only thing that seems to function somewhat okay, it's set to only keep 14 restore points but it's up to 18 now for some reason.
Having higher number of restore points on disk in the forward incremental chain is expected.
vsb2211 wrote:Disk based backup starts at 9PM every day and stores 14 restore points, Fixed USB Backup copy starts at whatever time the Disk based backup finishes (not on some static copy interval setting) and basically mirrors what is on the original disk based backup.
The general practice is to schedule copy job interval to start 5 minutes later the original backup job starts, which effectively makes it to monitor for the backup job to finish and start copying immediately. Not sure why retention doesn't apply in your case. Do you have GFS retention enabled for it and probably the "Read from source..." check box as well?
vsb2211 wrote:The swapped USB drive is wiped before the copy job starts and veeam copies the most recent full backup and most recent incremental for each vm so I have one good copy of all the VM's. I swap out the USB drive in the morning and at 9pm the whole process starts over again, etc etc.
This is ok, but keep in mind that backup copy doesn't copy files but synthetically creates restore points corresponding to the latest VM state. So instead of a full+increment yu will get full backup with the state corresponding to the latest increment available in the source repository.