Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ikacsor
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kácsor István

Recover using Veeam recovery iso, from network share

Post by ikacsor »

Hi,

I tried to recover a Windows7 using Veeam Endpoint Backup on a Dell E6530 notebook. After rebooting with Veeam's .iso
(created by Veeam Recovery Media creator app), a WindowsXP like 'stuff' booted up but with no 'available networks'
and 'no network adapters detected'. If I'd like to use the network adapter, what kind of driver shall I need? (for what
kind of Windows?)

Thank you in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recover using Veeam recovery iso, from network share

Post by Dima P. »

Hi ikacsor,

Was the recovery media created on this laptop (if yes, then all original drivers should be included)?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

And to add to Dima's answer...

When you are in the recovery media (if it is not created from the original laptop), go to tools - command prompt. Do an ipconfig. If it shows an address of 169.x then the driver is loaded but you are not getting DHCP settings. You can then always use a fixed IP to get connectivity. If there is however nothing, then there are no drivers loaded for the network card. In that case, you can load a driver after booting on the recovery media but you need to have access to the .inf files of the driver

Mike
ikacsor
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kácsor István

Post by ikacsor »

I use the recovery media created on this laptop. So, the original question: what kind of Windows running in this recocery media?

Anyway, the problem was that the 'backup set' is too large for a pendrive but now I have an enough large USB3 HDD and now
the recovery is running. I just don't understand why I couldn't recover from a SMB share? (and, is the Windows version running in
the recovery media a secret? :-) - to get a suitable NIC driver)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

There is certainly no secret... It is the Windows PE version of the OS where you created it. Nothing more.

I'm happy to read you can do a recovery now, but that still hasn't solved the problem. You should be able to recover from an SMB share so it still might be interesting to investigate a few things after the recovery. If the recovery is fine, can you afterwards create a new recovery media, boot on it and then do the steps I described above? (cmd - ipconfing) so that we know more whether or not the driver is captured and placed in the recovery media?

Thanks
Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Small correction: We use Windows RE (Recovery Environment) – a lightweight version of Windows built on top of exising OS components. PE (Programming Environment) is lager and required ADK components preinstalled.
I just don't understand why I couldn't recover from a SMB share?
Still might be a driver issue, since restore from shared folder repository is fully supported. Next time you see this in Recovery Media, go to Tools > Load Drivers and check the list of preinstalled drivers. If some network adapter drivers are listed but you see the Install link next to it – simply install the drivers manually and that should solve this issue.