Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nickl99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: NICK LAING

Accidentally scratched tapes, how to get them back?

Post by nickl99 »

So a whole bunch of tapes came back that actually make up some archive data, and they were accidentally scratched. They WERE made with Veeam and part of our environment\monthly backups. I'm trying to inventory\catalog them but no matter what I do the inventory job returns "Unknown media (possibly in use by another application)".

What am i doing wrong?

Alternatively, I have good backups of my config\database, can I get back a record of these tapes from our vault at point in time? and somehow selectively restore the records for these tapes?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Accidentally scratched tapes, how to get them back?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Nick,
Do you have another backup software which used those tapes?
The issue is pretty generic. Have you contacted a support team? If yes, please post the case number.
Thanks!
nickl99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: NICK LAING

Post by nickl99 »

I am sure they were made with Veeam. If they were, what is required to get information regarding the contents back: 1) Is an inventory enough, or do I have to do Inventory and Catalog?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If we're talking about tapes having been previously written by this backup server, inventory should be enough. Otherwise (tapes written by another backup server), cataloging is a way to go.

If you're not sure, you can always stick to cataloging, since it includes inventory operation.

Thanks.