Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nickl99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: NICK LAING

What does one Veeam Availability suite license offer you?

Post by nickl99 »

So we have a current Veeam Availability Suite license originally purchased for our main production environment at HQ. This runs a dual site with one backup server, 2x Vcentre environments and 2 physical repositories.

We now have a few additional remote sites running a handful of servers on their own Vcentres. We need to back these up in a managed fashion.

Does my current Veeam license allow for 3,4 or 5 Vcentres? What are my options for managed\scheduled backups at these sites? The WAN connection to these sites is not suitable for big data moves, whereas between our 2 main sites it is. So we would be intending to backup to disk locally.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: What does one Veeam Availability suite license offer you

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Nick.
Availability suite consist from Veeam Backup and Replication and Veeam ONE. Both are licensed either by number of source hypervisor hosts CPU sockets or by number of managed VMs. You can find the info in license details.
If your license is socket-based, you are limited only in number of CPU sockets on the source host. vCentersm repositories, jobs etc are not limited.
Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Nick,
We license per socket so the amount of vcentre environments isn't important for us. If I understand your question, you are going to work with a Robo scenario. In v9 we already made lots of enhancements to those scenario's so you can have a repository per remote site and let the backup and / or replication of those VMs land locally (local repository) in that remote site. Ideally, considering the 3-2-1 rule, you might even consider doing a backup copy job after that (like once a day, when the WAN connection is not used (after office hours) to one of the main sites so you have a secondary copy at your main sites also.

So as long as you have your sockets licensed you are good, and you can design your Robo offices with local backups to a local repository (which could be VMs and without the need of having an additional B&R server) or you can even install different B&R servers (one per location) but do know that you then might need to contact your sales rep to get licenses split. But I think the preferred method would be the first

Hope it helps
Mike
nickl99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: NICK LAING

Post by nickl99 »

Thanks! I was able to install full versions at 2 other remote sites. I have full B+R at 2 sites, one is VMware site the other is Hyper-V.

Now...when it comes to setting up the jobs and managing the backups, do I use my HQ Veeam backup server to coordinate backup jobs? Or should I set up the jobs on the B+R server at each site? I *tried* setting up the one job at the remote VMware site, the job set up fine, set to back up first to the local repository, then I was going to create a copy job to synch all the way over to HQ. I started the job and it looked like it was going fine but stayed at 0% for 15mins?!?****

So generally whats the recommended setup? Will using the one primary Veeam B+R server to handle all backups mean the remote jobs run a lot slower?

***EDIT: Fixed this issue. I manually set the backup proxy to be the remote veeam server, which is local to the VM's and the local repo.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're right everything can be orchestrated from one location. However, it's recommended to have local proxies and repositories at each site. Especially, if you have CIFS-based repositories - local repository gateway is must. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I would suggest reading a book of best practices which based on many use cases. Thanks!