Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
damccumb
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David McCumber

Unable to install VEEAM Backup Catalog

Post by damccumb »

I was evaluating VEEAM Backup before the launch of v5 and I am trying to upgrade my old installation with the new v5 install. Everytime I try to upgrade to v5 I get the Error

Setup was unable to install VEEAM Backup Catalog

Then the setup closes. I also tried to install the trial on a new VM, but I get the same error. Any help would be appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Unable to install VEEAM Backup Catalog

Post by Gostev »

Hello, this issue has not been reported before. I am puzzled that you can even reproduce this on clean VM. Are you specifying account who is a member of Local Administrator group? Are you using account with Local Administrator privileges to run the setup? If you cannot find the issue, please open support case and provide them with installs logs from %TEMP% folder. Thank you.
damccumb
Novice

Post by damccumb »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know, when I got the same error on a newly deployed OS, I thought that was strange too. I am using the same VM template to install v5 I will install an OS from scratch and see if I get the same error. I will get back to you on that.

I was looking for the install log, before your reply. thanks for the info.. below is the tail end of the log after an install try. Let me know if you want the whole thing. Thanks

Property(C): CLIENTPROCESSID = 2100
Property(C): CLIENTUILEVEL = 0
Property(C): CURRENTDIRECTORY = C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IXP000.TMP
Property(C): SETUPEXEDIR = C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IXP000.TMP
Property(C): PackagecodeChanging = 1
Property(C): ProductState = -1
Property(C): PackageCode = {1998F0EF-B996-4EB4-BD68-83A4C06232EC}
=== Logging stopped: 10/27/2010 14:53:34 ===
MSI (c) (34:AC) [14:53:34:398]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (c) (34:AC) [14:53:34:398]: Product: Veeam Backup and Replication -- Installation operation failed.

MSI (c) (34:AC) [14:53:34:399]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Veeam Backup and Replication. Product Version: 5.0.0.179. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Veeam Software Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1602.

MSI (c) (34:AC) [14:53:34:402]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (34:AC) [14:53:34:402]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (c) (34:AC) [14:53:34:406]: MainEngineThread is returning 1602
=== Verbose logging stopped: 10/27/2010 14:53:34 ===
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, please do open a support case with our technical support directly, as we do not provide technical support via this forum, as explained when you click New Topic. Thank you for understanding.
damccumb
Novice

Post by damccumb » 1 person likes this post

Well i opened a ticket with support and figured it out, the problem was the installation was not able to create a share on the server.

I tried to manually create a share and was given an error saying incorrect function. I googled it and came across this link.

http://joeelway.spaces.live.com/blog/cn ... 2718.entry

I usually delete all the inbound rules on the windows firewall,

It turns out that you need to allow the predefined rule “File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request)” in order to create a share on local machine. even though the firewall was disabled you have to allow this rule or you will get an error when sharing a file. I have never heard of this before but after I allowed the rule the setup completed.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks Veeam support....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

David, thank you for coming back and updating the topic with the resolution!
ThM
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by ThM »

Got the same problen in install the catalog on a Windows Server 2008 R2.
But in my case, it was the password of the service user i had to enter during the installation. It won't work with a " in the password. Don't ask me why, but without it, the installation works fine.
simondrake79
Lurker
Full Name: Simon Drake

Post by simondrake79 »

ThM wrote:Got the same problen in install the catalog on a Windows Server 2008 R2.
But in my case, it was the password of the service user i had to enter during the installation. It won't work with a " in the password. Don't ask me why, but without it, the installation works fine.
Thank you. This fixed it for me!
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by raphael@schitz.net »

ThM wrote:Got the same problen in install the catalog on a Windows Server 2008 R2.
The " issue is still here in the 5.0.2 version
Thank you ThM ;)
baconismidog
Lurker

Post by baconismidog »

I can also confirm the " issue.

When I switched accounts to one with a different password, it installed w/o a hitch. I'm on a fresh install of win2k8, sql 2008 standard.
ppgoonetillake
Lurker
Full Name: Pradeep Goonetillake

Post by ppgoonetillake »

In My case this was caused by the port number . Cnaging the port number fixed the problem.