Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
tsymons@ventra.us
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom symons

Veeam creating endless snapshots when backup fails

Post by tsymons@ventra.us »

I see this as a bug but my support rep said I had to come post here to "communicate directly with the developers".

I have a VM that fails backing up. Whenever it does so, another AVHD file is created. So now I have a chain of 30+ AVHD files. I now have to find downtime to roll all these AVHD files back into their parents (30 or so of them). Perhaps someone should look into rolling the AVHD files back into their parents when the backup fails for whatever reason.

Now I have a risky situation where I have to roll 30+ AVHD files into their parents while having no recent backup for this server.

So you know, if you could fix this bug, that would be great.

Case # 01927711
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam creating endless snapshots when backup fails

Post by foggy »

Hi Tom, this doesn't look expected, Veeam B&R should be able to cleanup these checkpoints even in case of the job failure. The thing is it asks Hyper-V to do this and I'm not sure whether the issue is on the Veeam or Hyper-V side. So the correct way of addressing it would be to continue investigating the reasons of this behavior with support.

What you could put as a feature request here, is the ability to check for orphaned checkpoints on the job start and automatically remove them.