Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pat100
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pat

Anyone else? Logical source shows as primary.

Post by pat100 »

As a trial, I backed up 4 volumes from one internal hard disk to a second internal hard disk: The system primary and three logical partitions seen as such in Mini-Tool Partition Wizard tool.
When I attempted to bare metal restore the backup to a third internal hard disk (with the first source hard disk disconnected) the process failed. The restoration process showed that the backup had recorded two of the 3 logical partitions as primary, instead of logical, and only one correctly as logical. (The system partition showed correctly as a primary) The first 15.4GB block was restored but the next block failed (The source system partition was 60GB with 22GB of that being used.)
I could successfully restore the system partition alone to the 3rd hard disk and boot from it.
I don't understand the difference between volumes and partitions.
Mini-tool shows the 4 source partitions correctly as 1 system primary partition and 3 logical data partitions.
Using Windows Pro 10AU. Sata 3 hard disks. AHCI.
ALSO: For forum registration, why is my Gmail email address rejected as a public email while my Hotmail address is accepted
AND: What is a support case ID?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Anyone else? Logical source shows as primary.

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Pat,

A support case ID is what you will receive when you log a support call. I think this is what you should do so our engineers can look into the issue. Please go to the UI of VEB, go to support and register your email address first. After that registration you can log a support call with our engineers. The support call is free, but we don't provide any SLA so we can't promise any timing but we do get back to you. (It is explained here: https://www.veeam.com/blog/technical-su ... -free.html).

After logging the support call, you will get an email back with a support case ID. Please post it here and if our engineers find what is wrong as a follow-up also.

Why your gmail adres is refused I don't know to be honest...

Thanks

Mike

PS: A partition is a part of the harddisk which itself is useless because it is just a chunch of a disk. You make it a volume when you format it with a filesystem
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi pat100,

It's hard to say without your application logs, so kindly open a support case and let the support folks investigate this issue.
What is a support case ID?
You get it once the support case is opened. To open a support case navigate to VEB's C0ntrol Panel > Support
For forum registration, why is my Gmail email address rejected as a public email while my Hotmail address is accepted
Basic spam check - most of the spam comes from accounts register with gmail account. Generally we allow only business email addresses to be used.
pat100
Novice

Post by pat100 »

Aagarh! When I login then write a reply, clicking on Submit takes me back to Login again and loses my post. Is there a time-out?
------------------------------
Thanks for the replies, folks! I'll make a support request.
I deleted all the backups, tidied my drives and tried again. This time I was able to make, and successfully restore, a backup of my system volume and three data volumes.
However, two of the Logical partitions on the source SATA internal HDD still reappeared as Primary type on the new, restored SATA internal HDD. They performed OK under Windows 10AU Pro and I later switched them back to Logical type, with no problems, using Mini-Tool.
I noticed that the manually deleted backups still show in the VEB Control Panel, Status tab, though their restore options are greyed-out. Also, the restored VEB Control Panel, Status tab, does not show the latest backup (I.e. the one it was restored from) I'm guessing that is because the info is stored in Program Files and not in the backups (VeenamBackup) folder.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

For that last one... That is correct. Since you are restoring the latest backup, you are in fact restoring it to a point in time where VEB didn't know if it was going to be a success or failure in the end. Because in essence, the "snapshot" was before that the complete backup ended.

However, that restore point is still there! So it is still usable if you want to restore again from that specific point
pat100
Novice

Post by pat100 »

Case # 01929484 [ ]
Tech Support told me how to fix this:

When restoring from a backup:

1. On the Disk Mapping page, untick all volumes.
2. Click Customise Disk Mapping. See an empty disk partition layout table.
3. Click the target disk number to select it and then right click it to see "Apply Disk Layout" option offered. Apply that.
4. See target disk partitions boxes now correctly filled matching the source type. Continue.

Perhaps this could be built-in as a required step to check the disk layout rather than an option to do so and then an instruction as to what to do if the displayed partition table does not match the source?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for sharing the solution. From the given explanation, I assume that some partitions left after you performed recovery for the first time, thus the given confusion.
Perhaps this could be built-in as a required step to check the disk layout rather than an option to do so and then an instruction as to what to do if the displayed partition table does not match the source?
VEB performs auto mapping only when restoring full volume to original layout, otherwise it can overwrite the sensitive information.
pat100
Novice

Post by pat100 »

This is my actual communication with Tech Support (snipped.) In 1. to 4. above, I have written what worked for me using their advice.

Tech: Please clarify which type of disk mapping did you use?
Me: The Manual mode
Tech: Thank you for the clarification. In order to save your disk layout your should use 'Apply Disk Layout', otherwise it will create 3 primary and 1 logical partitions according to MS recommendations [End]
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks. Let me check the case details to be on the same page.