Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BGA-Robert
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Robert Wakefield

Slow FLR Restore - Expectations?

Post by BGA-Robert »

Case #01906475.

We don't do many FLR restores, but recently did a larger one, large being about 100GB with lots of files. Using FLR and copying to a new destination, we were seeing about 100KBps. This was slow to the point of failing the task. Estimated run time was 20 days. I wound up do a full restore and booting the temp server and just copying files. That's more work that it needs to be for this task.

I realize restoring from a Data Domain is going to be "slow".

Support had me run a DISKSPD test and random 4K reads generated about 1.3MBps

I just let FLR run for an hour on a test restore and only managed 26 files/51.6MB before canceling it. That works out to 14.4KBps, which is only 1% of the expected 1.3MBps speed

Support seems willing to put this on the Data Domain (as usual)

It's a simple environment, 1 Veeam server, VMware vCenter, the Data Domain and enterprise class underlying equipment

So my question is, what should I expect here speedwise?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Slow FLR Restore - Expectations?

Post by alanbolte »

Is there a difference between using the Veeam file browser, and using Windows file explorer to copy the files from C:\VeeamFLR?
BGA-Robert
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Robert Wakefield

Post by BGA-Robert »

Sorry, was off for a couple of days. I just happened to do a similar restore for a different client. This client is larger and has a "better" Data Domain. I knew using the Veeam GUI may slow, so I simply copied the files from the C:\VeeamFLR folder. I used Robocopy so as to get some stats (and handle long folder paths). I restored 1.43GB in 21 minutes. There were 5080 files across 881 folders. Doing the math, that works out to 868KBps (.8MBps). That's about 65% of my target speed of 1.3MBps.

That also works out to about 4 files per second. I know a lot of file opens will slow down Windows
Average file size is 1.43GB / 5080, which is 215.3KB, so there's not a lot of large files

Anyway, my feeling is that copying from C:\VeeamFLR is a little quicker, but it's still underperforming

Does anyone else have any numbers on FLR speed????
cby
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Post by cby »

See recent discussion: veeam-backup-replication-f2/restoring-a ... 38281.html

It mentions the slow nature of FLR and possible/preferable workarounds.