Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JLundgren
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Johnny Lundgren

Veeam Agent and attach ISO to vm in Azure.

Post by JLundgren »

Hello,

I have previously read here in the posts that due to the fact that ISOs cannot be attached to a vm in Azure, makes it a showstopper when trying to use VEB agent to protect vm in Azure to Azure.

However, since Azure allows VHDs be attached to an Azure based vm, could a conversion from the ISO created by Veeam to VHD solve this issue when restoring a vm ?
Or is it something I have missed in this VEB procedure which makes it impossible all the same ?

Regards,

Johnny Lundgren
Regards,

JLundgren
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Agent and attach ISO to vm in Azure.

Post by PTide »

Hi,

This should work. Also there is another approach - start VEB on an existing VM, it will serve as proxy. Next, attach virtual drive that is a subject to restore to the proxy VM and perform restore. Reattach the drive back to the VM where it came from

Thanks
JLundgren
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Johnny Lundgren

Post by JLundgren »

So the conclusion is:

we can now use VEB to protect Azure based vm to a repository in Azure either shared disk or VB.
Also be able to do a full recovery with the ISO that is converted to VHD and attached to a new vm also in Azure ?

Does any difference exist regarding procedure and functionality compared to onprem installations ?

Regards,

Johnny Lundgren
Regards,

JLundgren
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Sorry, my mistake. Although you can convert .iso to .vhd and boot an Azure VM from it you will not have console access to that VM thus will not be able to start recovery process. You can use the workaround that I've explained to restore other VM's drive using proxy VM, or you can use direct restore to Azure feature.
BCT-Tech
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Post by BCT-Tech »

PTide wrote:Sorry, my mistake. Although you can convert .iso to .vhd and boot an Azure VM from it you will not have console access to that VM thus will not be able to start recovery process. You can use the workaround that I've explained to restore other VM's drive using proxy VM, or you can use direct restore to Azure feature.
Does Direct Restore to Azure only allow local VM restore to Azure, or does this work with Azure VM Endpoint backups saved to the local repository?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

If I understand it correctly... Yes, if your backup file of that Azure VM is located in a local repository (or a repository in Azure when you have extended your on-prem DC to Azure), then you can use direct restore to Azure to restore it again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Does Direct Restore to Azure only allow local VM restore to Azure, or does this work with Azure VM Endpoint backups saved to the local repository?
Both actually. You can restore VEB backups and VBR backups using the restore to Azure functionality.