Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
enoch
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Peter Enoch

Question about Windows Veeam Agent use to migrate?

Post by enoch »

Hi everyone,

Don't know if this is the current forum or if it's possible to answer my question for a product which isn't released yet!

I was thinking about if this product actually can be used for migration from V2V or P2V.

Currently we have som VMware hosts with VM's that we would like to move to Hyper-V. Would it be possible to install Veeam Windows Agent on each of the VMware VM's and backup with "bare metal" backup to Veeam server then make a "Veeam Agent ISO bootdisk" ISO, create a Gen1 or Gen2 server in Hyper-V with "same" disks,memory, cpu etc. Then boot up the Hyper-V VM and restore the "VMware VM image" to the new Hyper-V VM?

After this we need to remove VMware Tools and maybe install Hyper-V Integration Tools.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Question about Windows Veeam Agent use to migrate?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi enoch,
a product which isn't released yet!
Actually, it is: you can try Veeam Endpoint Backup Free 1.5 now. Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 is just a new version of existing solution.
his product actually can be used for migration from V2V or P2V
It's not designed as a P2V solution for sure, but you can use Bare Metal Recovery to a black VM - that will work. Additionally, if you are using Veeam Backup and Replication there is an export as virtual disk functionality which can create a vmdk/vhd disk from a backup file created by VEB.
enoch
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Peter Enoch

Post by enoch »

Hi,

Is Veeam Endpoint Backup Free 1.5 also supported on Windows server OS?

Could you send me some details about the export as virtual disk functionality?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Sure. Check this guide
Replicator
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Restoring backup taken from Hyper-V VM to VMware

Post by Replicator »

I need to move few Windows Server 2012 VM's running on Hyper-V (Server 2012) to VMware platform. I was thinking that I could use Veeam Endpoint Backup for this V2V operation. Anything that I should be aware of? Other option is to use VMware Converter.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Restoring backup taken from Hyper-V VM to VMware

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

You could indeed create a new VM on VMware and then do a bare metal recovery restore. There are indeed a few things you need to keep in mind. When taking the backup on the Hyper-V platform, you were running the Hyper-V integration tools. After your BMR, you need to do a bit of clean-up and make sure the VMware tools are installed and running

Cheers
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VEB was not designed as a V2V tool, so I would recommend to use vendor specific converters to make this process easier.