Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cata81
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cristian

A succesfull story

Post by cata81 » 2 people like this post

Hi Everyone,

I want to share this ordinary IT story with you:

Last week I went to a customer that noticed me his server didn''t boot itself but he needs to press F1 to continue... I found that F1 were due some SMART issue, I thought RAID1/5 were implemented and that wasn't I big issue, but I discovered the server had only one driver and no RAID at all :shock: ! (I hope who did that server is working on hell now).

The customer had only Windows Server Backups, but I wanted to give a try with VEB (no hassle to find the Windows Server Disk), so I installed it on the server and did a full backup + Recovery ISO, the original disk was a 1TB drive but I had only two 500GB spare drives, no problem because I remember VEB can resize of the partitions easily (of course if there is enough space and there was), on the bios I also found the previous SYS Admin left the disk on IDE compatibility mode! nevermind I remember there's a (long and painful) trick to add RAID/ACHI drivers to Windows after the restore, I set the bios on RAID, set the two 500GB drives on RAID1 and started the restore and here comes the unbelievable! I found that VEB can import and inject directly the RAID/ACHI drivers on the fly :shock:! they don't guarantee the success, but in my case the server booted flawlessly at the first try :D

If I had to use the Windows Backup Restore my day would turn an hell, luckily I did a try with VEB!

Thank you guys!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: A succesfull story

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Christian,

Thanks for sharing. In the timezone I am currently at, this is for me a story I'm reading during my first morning coffee and it has put a smile on my face :-)

Always fun to read things like this and very happy that you had a nice flawless recovery!

cheers

Mike