Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
jannep
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jan Pettersson

Vcenter appliance performance?

Post by jannep »

Hi!
I cant see any performance data for my vcenter appliance in the veeam management pack?
All other vm:s shows up with performance data. But the vcenter appliance only shows up as a vcenter server without performance data regarding disk, cpu and so on.
Running SCOM 2012 R2. Update 2 for Veeam MP.
I have removed Veeam VMware Integration pack due to a bug confirmed by veeam that makes the server go unmoniterd after a while.

The impact of that according to veeam is:
"As a result vSphere Virtual Machine > Performance Views will be empty:
cpu > % Processor Time;
disk > % Disk Time;
memory > % Memory Used, % Page File Used, Pages/sec; net > % Network bandwidth used
Also Veeam VMware Analysis Reports > Virtual Machines. Right-sizing – VMs Oversized/Undersized for Memory and CPU (Ops Mgr agent data) will be affected.
Maintenance Mode Synchronization won't work as well. It tracks vSphere Maintenance Mode for a host, and automatically respond by placing the host in Ops Mgr Maintenance Mode. "

So it should not be an issue when it comes to vcenter performance.
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Vcenter appliance performance?

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Jan,

So am I correct in understanding that your vCenter appliance is just a Virtual Machine and you are monitoring it with Veeam MP, but for some reasons you don't see the performance of this particular VM?

I would try to do the following:

Check the "id" VM property and "Veeam Collector" property, for this particular VM, and then use the ID to perform the following PowerShell command on the Collector that is mentioned in the Veeam Collector VM's property:

Code: Select all

gwmi -class "Vmstats" -namespace "root\nworks" | ? {$_.entityId -eq "vcenter:vm-12345"}
Change "vcenter:vm-12345" to the id of a VM which is the vcenter appliance

With respect to the workaround that you had to do - this is a known issue of compatibility with Microsoft OMS, it has been also reported to Microsoft and they are still investigating it, this is happening with other Management Packs besides Veeam. We appreciate your patience and we really hope the issue is going to be fixed soon. But you are correct that this workaround should not affect receiving performance for a simple VM which happens to be also vCenter appliance.

So, please try the script above and provide us with the output.

Thanks.
jannep
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jan Pettersson

Post by jannep »

Hi!
thank you for your tip. It looks like it must have been an issue with the Collector somehow. I ran a rebuild topology and volia it showed up as a VM as well.
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Jan,

Thank you very much for the update.