Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
kenny504
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kendrick Knowles

LOST DATA on VEEAM REPLICA - HELP PLEASE!

Post by kenny504 »

I have a very strange scenario.

I tried to issue failover to a hyper-v host but communications where down to the destination so the failover command failed.

I then went directly to the replica and started working. Users have saved files to this server for 3 days.

When the primary server came online veeam resumed the failed failover attempt!!....I immediately didnt want this because i had already manually faield over so i choose undo failover.

Now the replica machine is back to the way it was before the users saved files.

Please tell me there is a way to revert back. I am using Microsoft Hyper -V.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: LOST DATA on VEEAM REPLICA - HELP PLEASE!

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

This is what undo failover operation does. So, unfortunately there is no way to get everything back. Thanks.
kenny504
Novice

Post by kenny504 »

Ok understood. But what if the initial failover command never actually was sent to the desination (due to no network communication).

How would it then delete a snapshot (avhd) if the virtual machine was running without snapshots.

I guess my question is what did the undo failover command discard - if it was a snapshot - when would the snapshot have been created, because I manually turned on the replica server at the destination so it was working independently of veeam.

Veeam just starting automatically to failover when the source came back online - which i tried to cancel by undoing(silly of me). So Did it just revert the entire vm to the original state by cleaning the actual vhd?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The replication restore points are snapshots. Starting from a moment a machine had been powered up manually, all changes have been being written as delta files. If you revert snapshot either manually or automatically (undo failover), all of the changes done will be discarded (deltas will be deleted).

That's what happened in your case.

Thanks.
kenny504
Novice

Post by kenny504 »

Thank you Sir. I have restored the delta file (.vbk) How can i go about veiwing it. I tried through B&R but it gives me an error on restore guest files.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

VBK file is a full VM backup that can be imported into Veeam B&R and then be used to perform restores. What did you try to restore and what kind of error did you get?
kenny504
Novice

Post by kenny504 »

Guess I misunderstood. the term delta file. I am pretty much just trying to understand the filename veeam would have used to delete the replica so i can look for it in windows recovery programs.

It cannot be an ahvd file because the virtual machine was manually powered up and i tested on another replica - no avhd snapshot is ever created on manual failover.

Put simply - what happened here - how did veeam track the changes of the destination and what file did it discard on the undo failover.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Did you get a chance to review the link provided by Vladimir above? Each restore point is a regular snapshot of the replica VM, containing all blocks changed since the last job in a AVHD(X) file. When you start replica VM (either manually or via failover operation), all changes made to the replica VM are written to the differencing disk of the snapshot and that is what gets discarded if you turn the replica VM off or undo failover.