Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

SureBackup Ping Test Always Have Three Failures

Post by bg.ranken »

Hello,

I'm having a strange issue with our SureBackup jobs. Every server that we test show successful on the ping portion however all of them show results of 1/4 test(s) passed. The failures all say destination host unreachable. Out of the 4 pings it tries, sometimes it's only the first that's successful, sometimes the last, sometimes the 2nd or 3rd one. I've never had a VM have more or less than a single successful ping.

Now while the job is running, from the backup server I can successfully ping the Masquerade IP constantly without a single dropped packet. I can also log into the server before it even tries it's ping tests and everything is up and running no issues. This happens both on servers with the Windows firewall enabled as well as disabled. It's the same across OS as well, 2003, 2008, and 2012 VMs all have the same issue during SureBackup.

So far the jobs are successful so it's not too much of a bother, but I'd more curious as to why it's showing ping failures and am worried that it may not have that one successful ping eventually and start failing jobs.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? I have a case (01922268) with support at the moment but it looks like they might be as stumped as I am.
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Re: SureBackup Ping Test Always Have Three Failures

Post by bg.ranken »

Never mind, I think I might have figured it out. We have remote sites with the same network label on the VM port group in VMware. This is so we can use our Riverbed devices to pin LUNs to different sites and move them around freely without having to reconfigure their network every time. However when I created the virtual lab I just added each individual real network as a separate vNIC with a different masquerade and appliance IP. I guess I assumed Veeam would somehow figure out which network the server was on based on the appliance IP that was set.

Anyways in the logs it shows it trying to hit every masquerade IP and only succeeding for the network the server is actually on, which is why only one of the ping results is successful and its different for each server. Within the Veeam GUI though it only shows the real IP it's failing the pings to, not the masquerade IP it is using so it wasn't apparent what was going on without digging into the logs.

I guess I did find it odd the UI shows the real IP it's pinging is failing with no indication of what masquerade IP it's using. But either way at least I've figure it out at this point, probably more our fault for naming our VM networks the same.