Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
jingtai
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: jingtai

IOPS display issue

Post by jingtai »

hi
in the performance chart legend display a vmware guest IOPS ,the past hour of max IOPS show 2000 but the past day max IOPS show 1000, why last day less than the past hour ? those two number should be at least same
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: IOPS display issue

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

I believe this topic should shed some light on the observed behavior > utilization >1hr flattening min/max/avg values

Let me know if that helps!
jingtai
Novice

Post by jingtai » 1 person likes this post

thanks . i have read the post ,but its diffcult to explian my boss who is not IT expert. The hourly chart show i need extend my physical storage, the daily chart shows the opposite.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can justify that by the number of alarms triggered for IOPs, also you can suggest to review the trend, since in your case it is going up. On a side note, can you please tell us what is the reason for this spike? Any scheduled activity?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi jingtai,
As described in the linked topic you should have 2-hours averages for the historical periods. If those values are high during working hours and you have lots of alarms triggered, you can explain your boss that you need an upgrade. But if those averages are not that high and you just had some spikes I would try to find out the reason to balance them in future.
Thanks!
jingtai
Novice

Post by jingtai »

Vitaliy S. wrote:You can justify that by the number of alarms triggered for IOPs, also you can suggest to review the trend, since in your case it is going up. On a side note, can you please tell us what is the reason for this spike? Any scheduled activity?
i am manage the citrix xendesktop (300 active users ), boot storm and login storm may cause this spike. reboot cause 500-600 IOPS per vm guest.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, this explains it, any user-related activity (such as massive log in/backup) or a reboot can cause resource usage spikes, but during the normal activity this should not cause any issues, right?