Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
scott.edwards
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Edwards

Failover Plan Best Practices

Post by scott.edwards »

Pretty basic question, I was wondering if there was a recommended limit to the number of servers included in a failover plan and if multiple failover plans can/should be executed if the number of servers in the plan is limited.
I currently have one plan with 11 servers. I need to update the BCDR policy adding additional servers.

One other item, if a failover plan is being executed and the Veeam Backup & Replication server loses connection to the DR site (either by losing power/reboot or network connection) when the VB&R server comes back online does it detect the running job so normal procedures to failback to production can be properly executed?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failover Plan Best Practices

Post by foggy »

scott.edwards wrote:Pretty basic question, I was wondering if there was a recommended limit to the number of servers included in a failover plan and if multiple failover plans can/should be executed if the number of servers in the plan is limited.
To prevent VI overload, Veeam B&R automatically limits the number of VMs that start simultaneously by 10.
scott.edwards wrote:One other item, if a failover plan is being executed and the Veeam Backup & Replication server loses connection to the DR site (either by losing power/reboot or network connection) when the VB&R server comes back online does it detect the running job so normal procedures to failback to production can be properly executed?
The best practice is to have Veeam B&R responsible for replication/failover in the target location, to avoid such occurrences.