Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hasekamin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Weber

Truncation Behavior Exchange / SQL

Post by hasekamin »

We are using one backup job with several SQL Servers and one Exchange Server.

We want veeam to truncate our Exchange transactions logs. But we do not want veeam to truncate our SQL Server transaction log files. We are using the Microsoft SQL Server backup job to do this.

To accomplish this we are using the following settings:

Guest Processing / Application-Aware Processing Options / Edit

General / Transaction Logs / Process transaction logs with job ( recommended)

SQL / Do not truncate logs

Oracle / Do not delete archived logs

When we choose these settings and close the window in the next window under Transaction Logs it only shows "Exchange: Truncate". Exactly what we want. Nothing about SQL or Oracle log file truncation.

But when we now look at the Servers inside the job actions window after the job successfully finished it says "Truncating transaction logs" on all Servers inside the job. On the Exchange Server "Truncating Exchange transaction logs".

The user guide information about "SQL / Do not truncate logs" setting is
With this option selected, Veeam Backup & Replication produces a backup file or VM replica and does not trigger transaction log truncation.
Maybe this "Truncating transaction logs" is meant to be a "Processing Transaction logs" or "Backing Up Transaction logs".

So the actual question is: Does veeam truncate the logs of all none Exchange Servers or does it not ?

Veeam Backup & Replication Version 9.0.0.1715
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Truncation Behavior Exchange / SQL

Post by jmmarton »

Also make sure on the general tab of the application aware processing settings that for your SQL servers you set Transaction logs to "Perform copy only."

Joe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The "Truncating transaction logs" message in the session log is meant to be "Checking whether logs should be truncated". If you select the 'copy only' option, you will not see this message.
hasekamin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Weber

Post by hasekamin »

Ok so the backup worked as intended and did not truncate the sql log files.

Just to to bypass the message in the future I put our Exchange Server in a separate VM folder. Now I am able to set individual application-aware proccessing settings per folder within one Backup Job.

I did not know this was possible until last week. I thought i would have create a completely new job which i wanted to avoid.

Thanks for your help