Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TomTiddler
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Telford

An observation and a question or two

Post by TomTiddler »

I operate a small home network of 5 or 6 computers, and have been using Veeam Endpoint Backup Free for about a year with great success, and considerable satisfaction. I recently repurposed one of the machines and changed the Computer Name in Windows. (all of the machines except one are running Windows 10 Pro, the exception is running Windows Home Server 2011). The original name of the repurposed machine was "SUESYOGAPC", and about 2 months ago, I renamed it to "IANSYOGA900".

Today I was doing some housekeeping and noticed that there were no entries in my backup folder for IANSYOGA900, even though it was routinely performing backups! Where were they going? Eventually I noticed that the backup subfolder titled "Backup Job SUESYOGAPC" had a whole load of backups for the last 2 months, all of which were "incorrectly" labelled "SUESYOGAPCCurrent_date_of_backup".

No problem I thought, I'll just delete the entire sub-folder "Backup Job SUESYOGAPC", and run another backup which presumably will create a "Backup Job IANYOGA900" sub-folder, and everything will be back on track. Sadly no, Veeam recreated a new subfolder called "Backup Job SUESYOGAPC", in which there is a backup chain metadata file called "Backup Job SUESYOGAPC", and a full backup file labelled "Backup Job IANSYOGA9002016-10-22T120005".

Clearly some database VEB is using has a persistent entry for machines, and this doesn't change even if the computer name changes in the future. How do I fix this?

Ian Telford
Waterloo
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: An observation and a question or two

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Tom,

We are aware that when you change the computer name, we keep using the old name for our folders on the backup target. I don't believe we have a solution for this besides uninstalling the software and then using a registry key to force VEB to recreate the database. That would get you from scratch.

But, since I am not sure whether we have a solution already for it, or not, can you use the UI to create a support call? It might be that our engineers can change it in the DB very easily... No promises, but who knows :-)

If you created the support case, please post the case ID in this thread and after working with our engineers, let us know the outcome

Thanks

Mike
TomTiddler
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Telford

Post by TomTiddler »

Thanks Mike for the quick reply. For now, I can live with it, I just wanted to make you guys aware of the issue. I will eventually get round to creating a support call, just to "formally" get it into the system, as this could be a non-trivial issue in some circumstances.

As always, awesome response from you guys :-)

and actually, it's Ian, Tom Tiddler is an "inside" joke.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Ah, yeah, I should have seen that in your full name... Mea culpa :-)