Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

backup SQL cluster

Post by marieelieg »

Hello everyone,

I don't know if someone asked this question already but nevertheless.

I have a 2 node SQL cluster on hyper-v hosts. Each node has a local drive (lets say C:\ drive) and both of them have a shared SAN volume.
I am able to backup the local drives just fine however Veeam is not able to "see" the SAN shared volume.

My question is, in Veeam is there a way to backup the SAN shared volume? If yes, how to do it?

Thank you guys in advance. Any help is really appreciated:D
marieelieg
Expert

Re: backup SQL cluster

Post by marieelieg »

SQL cluster is on windows server 2012 R2.
And it is not Always on (not sure if that matters).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

No it is not since that shared volume is not part of the virtual infrastructure. The only way to be able to do this is to work with a shared VHD(X). Unfortunately, in windows 2012 R2 the capabilities of backing-up a shared VHD(X) only allowed us to take a crash-consistent backup. I can't say yet what we can do in server 2016 (but hoping it will be better...)

So for now, we can't backup that shared volume, and maybe you can let your SQL admins make SQL dumps on a regular basis and put that data on a virtual disk (so we can back it up). In the future, we are hoping to see better support for shared disks (if the underlying technologie allows us at least... ;-)) so you can move the data to that (and get additional virtualization benefits with it). Also, considering how fast technology is changing, you might be interested to look at Always on technologies because that would stop the hassle of shared disks, and gives you more possibilities for the future

My 2 cents
Mike
marieelieg
Expert

Post by marieelieg »

mmm Okay. Thank you Mike.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Depending on the volume type and your setup it might be possible to use Veeam Endpoint Backup to protect this other volume, just databases (as an alternative to native application backup dumps).