Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
tommmoe
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom

Oracle ASM

Post by tommmoe »

Hi,

We have a decent amount of physical servers that host our Oracle environment which is running on Oracle ASM, would anyone be able to tell me if or how we can take backups with ASM?

I know that Veeam can handle VM's but I'm crossing my fingers that I can do the same or if not similar with physical.

Cheers
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Oracle ASM

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tom,

No, certainly not in this beta of VAL. We are capable of protecting physical Linux servers, but these specific use-cases we can't do for now (never say never with Veeam ;-))

Thanks
Mike
Scream
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Scream »

@Mike:
Is there an update since your last comment? The Veeam Agent for Linux is not any more Beta.
I have an Oracle ASM installation in VMware using bus-sharring and also I have another but that runs on physical blades which accesses the same disks.

Currently the only option is to backup the DB with RMAN, but that doesn't help if the OS will have any problem. You'll have to rebuild this complicated cluster from scratch.

Thank you!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Currently that application integration is not there. We do support scripts for application consistency so I am wondering if you can use that to backup the OS. I am certainly not an expert in this matter (considering your cluster setup) so I hope @ptide and @vmniels will jump in here also.

We do monitor these requests heavily though so any additional information or ideas you can give on how / what we need to support is appreciated (and counts as a FR vote ;-))

Thanks
Mike