Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ratcha
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Veeam selects IP via VMware tools - any way to override?

Post by Ratcha »

ESX3.5
Veeam B&R 4.1.1

Veeam Backup & Restore is using the IP that VMware tools is presenting to it, which happens to be 1 IP out of 4 on the server. The problem is, the 1 IP being presented is a shared WNLB IP, so when Veeam requests a VSS quiesce, the quiesce is done on the other WNLB server (default server in the WNLB group). This leads to Veeam reporting errors during the backup as the server has not be properly quiesced, and there is clearly potential for a bad backup/restore.

Has anyone else found a workaround for this situation? It seems to me that due to the way VMware tools returns an IP to the requester (in this case Veeam), this method of obtaining an IP is not reliable, and Veeam B&R should allow for a manual IP entry / override in cases where the IP being returned is not usable for communicating with the server.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Veeam selects IP via VMware tools - any way to override?

Post by Gostev »

Install v5 - it does not require network connection from Veeam Backup server to guest in order to be able to do the job.
Ratcha
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Post by Ratcha »

I won't be upgrading to 5 just yet, but good to know that if there is no workaround, this issue will be resolved after an upgrade - when hopefully no other issues will present themselves. :D

I'd still like to know if anyone has managed to work around this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, you should at least consider upgrading to latest v4 release (which is 4.1.2), because 4.1.1 is pretty outdated to see the least...
Oletho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Post by Oletho »

Gostev wrote:Install v5 - it does not require network connection from Veeam Backup server to guest in order to be able to do the job.
Is that completely true?

I have two servers that are presenting IP-addresses to vCenter that are not reachable from Veeam server, both gives me

Starting guest agent
Cannot upload guest agent's files to the administrative share [C:\Windows].
Cannot create folder [C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport] in guest.
VIX Error: You do not have access rights to this file Code: 13

Freezing guest operating system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started

Is it possible to hack Veeam to use specific address?

Ole Thomsen
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it is completely true. As you can see from to the quoted error, the issue has nothing to deal with network. Instead, there are permission issues on VM with account you have specified for application-aware processing. As soon as you fix it, everything will work despite VM is not reachable for Veeam Backup server over network.

And since Veeam v5 does not use TCP/IP connection to VM, there is simply no sense to tamper with IP address.
Bryan Sweeney
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan Sweeney

Post by Bryan Sweeney »

Might be worth noting that on 2008 R2 I have had to disavle User Account Control to eliminate this error. Making the local Veeam account an administrator is not enough. With UAC enabled the OS requires additional approvals to make changes to the c:\windows directory as well as other actions.