Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Andy_Morgan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Morgan

Backup and replaication setup

Post by Andy_Morgan »

I've just installed Veeam backup and replaiction and i'm just testing backups, monitoring speeds to deciding on a recovery plan, i just have a few quick questions before i continue.

I running a windows hyper V envirmoment with 4 physcial server hosting 14 VM's using Veeam version 9 on a physical server

Backup jobs - would backup a VM to file, to which it can be restored if a VM fails(no need to reconfigure a VM instsall windows etc..)

Replication - requires a seperate Server with Hyper V to replacate VM should one fail to quickly restore

is that correct?

if a VM failed could a simple restore of a backup return it to its previous state, or would only replacation be able to do that.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup and replaication setup

Post by foggy »

Hi Andrew, your understanding is correct. Both backup and replication return the VM to the state of the corresponding restore point (either by fully restoring it from a compressed backup file or by failing over to a ready-to-go replica VM). I suggest to review the corresponding user guide sections for better understanding.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Andrew,

You are correct. Whether you use backup or replication, the VM would return to the point in time of the backup / replication. The difference is that with replication a VM is in "standby" mode so when you do a failover, the amount of time to get the VM back online is the time necessary to start that VM. In case of backup, there are two options. You can recover the entire VM and that will take more time, or you can use instant recovery which will be the time to start the VM that lives on the backup storage. However, there will be a bit of performance loss here as most likely your backup storage will be not as fast as your production storage. And after doing an instant recovery, you still need to migrate (in the backend, while online) the VM back to the production storage.

Hope it helps

Mike
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

My 2 cents here - replication allows you to quickly switch between replica and original vm in case of a disaster using replica failover and failback features.

Thanks