Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
antipolis
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Backup copy job dedup question

Post by antipolis »

Greetings,

I have a question regarding a very specific situation

I have a DAG with two Exchange VMs, the active VM uses an old "in guest iSCSI" configuration, and thus can not be backuped with Veeam so for now I only backup the passive DAG Exchange VM, which is then copied offsite with a Backup Copy job that as been pre-seeded before (4 Tb database on a 100 Mbps connection would have taken days). We are not using WAN accelerator. For now all is good.

I plan in the next few days to migrate that "in guest iSCSI" Exchange DB to a regular VMDK on a proper iSCSI VMFS datastore so that it can be processed by Veeam. After this migration I will add the virtual machine to the Exchange Backup Job, and then do a full active backup; I expect to have a good deduplication result (~50%) on the total backup size due to the fact that the same database is backed up twice.

Now the question is the following : will the backup copy job take advantage of the deduplication from the backup job or will I have to deal with a huge transfer over the 100 mbps link ? (in the later case I will plan for a new seeding of the backup copy job).

Thank you in advance for your insight
Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy job dedup question

Post by foggy »

Hi Eric, no, backup copy job will copy all the blocks related to the second node to the new increment file, so you'd need to re-seed the job.
antipolis
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Re: Backup copy job dedup question

Post by antipolis »

foggy wrote:Hi Eric, no, backup copy job will copy all the blocks related to the second node to the new increment file, so you'd need to re-seed the job.
this is what I feared, thank you for the confirmation I will plan things accordingly