Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kevinme
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kevin

Endpoint will not connect to new target repository

Post by kevinme »

Endpoint Backup wont connect to my target repository.

I had Endpoint Backup configured last week (it successfully ran 5 backup jobs), then I changed the IP of the repository (Buffalo TeraStation), and now Veeam Endpoint will not connect. I can see the target server and I can ping the target server from the server I'm trying to backup. This configuration error occurs in Status/Configure Backup/Backup Server/ enter Veeam backup IP and press next. The error Veeam Backup provides is: "Cannot connect to a backup server x.x.x.x. Please contact your Veeam Backup & Replication administrator."

Any ideas Veeam why it worked last week with the old IP, but wont work this week with the new IP?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Endpoint will not connect to new target repository

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Could you please make sure that your firewall does not have IP specific settings that previously allowed the connection but since repo IP has changed the required ports are blocked now?

Thanks
kevinme
Influencer

Post by kevinme »

Hi PTide,

Firewall is turned off, and both the server and storage are inside the network.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

I am guessing here, but you never know... Could you look at the permissions of that repository and add the user (right-click on the repository - permissions) and re-add that user?
kevinme
Influencer

Post by kevinme »

Hi Mike,

The repository has no permissions, read/write is open for all right now. Also, the repository is not on the domain (which wasnt an issue last week when Endpoint did work fine).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please try to create a brand new repository with write permissions (even the default one will work) and then check VEB backup job configuration once again? Do you see the same error message?
kevinme
Influencer

Post by kevinme »

Hi Vitaliy S.,

I think I understand you question, please let me know if I'm missing something with my reply. The backup repository is a Buffalo TeraStation TS5400R4E2. We've got one folder on the drive that Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Endpoint are pointed to (default, with no permissions). Veeam Endpoint literally will not allow me to add the Buffalo by IP now (adding by Server Name never worked), so creating a new folder for the repository still wont resolve the issue with Endpoint not connecting to Buffalo by IP. Also, we cant wipe Buffalo and start new because Veeam Backup & Replication is using it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Kevin,

Guys were talking about user's permissions inside the VBR console. Generally, you have to set permissions to 'allow all' or 'allow specific user accounts, like described in this article

However, from your first post is not quite clear, were you talking about VBR repository or shared folder option as a destination for your VEB backup job. Can you clarify please?
kevinme
Influencer

Post by kevinme » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima,

Ok, I understand what you guys are saying now, yes all permissions of the repository and also the specific permissions in VBR are set to "Allow to everyone". We had some DNS issues, so I changed the IP address of the repository back to what it was before, and everything's up and running successfully.

I do appreciate everyone's support here on this forum, we are really liking Veeam Endpoint!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Kevin,

Glad to hear that issue is resolved! Have a great weekend.