Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adrien.herve
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Adrien HERVE

Waiting for the next task

Post by adrien.herve »

Hi guys,

I was in trouble last week with some entire VM restores, the job keeps printing "Waiting for the next task" during couple of minutes (around 30) before starting to restore VMDK and other VM files to the original datastore. Restore of VMDK takes around 5 minutes, as expected, but the whole job takes 35/40 minutes for this!
Of course, zero jobs are running during the restore process and CPU & memory is over Veeam optimal requirements.

I've submitted the case to the support team #01952593, I hope they can find something. The support engineer tell me that he want to be sure this is not a bug and escalated the case to the labs. He tell me that there's may be a problem when the job is generating the server thumbprint.

Do you guys have already seen this behavior before?
BTW I'm running B&R 9.0.0.1491.

Thanks and have a nice week,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Waiting for the next task

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Does this behavior vary depending on the target host? Do you see the same issue when restoring VMs to the ESXi host directly (avoiding vCenter Server connection)?
adrien.herve
Enthusiast

Post by adrien.herve »

This behavior does not vary depending the target host also entire VM restore is working fine on another backup server using the same vCenter so I think vCenter is not guilty.
The support is trying to help but seems to have no further ideas about the issue.

When I try to restore entire VM I can't use a specific proxy and can't select a restore mode. It seems that Veeam is choosing the best way by his own and needs to interact with all the proxies defined on the same backup server to choose the best one for restoring.
In my case (for some security reasons) my remote proxies attached on this backup server are disconnected from network during the day but only reachable during backup window. I think it's the problem, Veeam is waiting for them to respond and then wait for the timeout for switching to another proxy.

My tests confirm this, I bring back online all the proxies then I try to restore the VM and now everything is better.

Can somebody tell me if it's possible to launch an entire VM restore and force a specific proxy to use to avoid contacting all unavailable proxies?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hmm, what happens if you execute Full VM Restore wizard and click on "pick proxy to use" link on the second page? Thanks.
adrien.herve
Enthusiast

Post by adrien.herve »

Of course Vladimir... I can't tell you why I haven't seen this link on the wizard! :?
It works like a charm and solve my problem. 8)

Thank you for your help which is greatly appreciated,
Have a nice day,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Sometimes it's possible to miss this or that particular functionality. Anyway, glad to hear you're up and running now. Thanks.