PowerShell script exchange
MPIDR
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Start-VBRJob in incremental mode

Post by MPIDR »

Dear Veeam community,

I just learned from the Veeam support that what we are trying to accomplish is not working. Maybe someone here has a solution or will support this as an enhancement request.

Our battery system (UPS) allows to run our data center for another two hours in case of a power failure. During that period of time, the UPS management software shuts down less important servers first, migrates virtual machines and in the end gracefully takes down the entire infrastructure step by step.

We thought it would be nice to have an up-to-date data backup of all VMs in such an emergency scenario. The above mentioned two hours would give us more than enough time to run all our VBR jobs in incremental mode. Unfortunately, there is no option for the Powershell command Start-VBRJob that forces an incremental backup. We configured our jobs to have one active full backup per week. So depending on the day of the power failure, some of our jobs will run in active full mode.

1) Is there a way to force incremental backups no matter if the next scheduled backup would be active full?
2) Do you think what I wrote makes sense and support an -IncrementalBackup option for Start-VBRJob in addition to the already existing -FullBackup as enhancement request?

Regards,
MPIDR
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Start-VBRJob in incremental mode

Post by PTide »

Hi,

1) The only possible workaround that I can think of is to create a PS script that disables fulls before starting a job.

2) The lack of such feature can be easily overcome by the abovementioned method so I doubt that it will be implemented soon, unless users supply us with additional use cases. Anyway I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Start-VBRJob in incremental mode

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, you can run quick backup for every VMs present in backup jobs. However, approach suggested by Pavel looks better to me. Thanks.