Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JChris
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Juan C.

Slow restore on gigabit network

Post by JChris »

When I backup using VEB I get ~100MB/s transfer from my PC to my NAS, but when I'm restoring using the recovery media I only get ~67MB/s max, the speed seems to go up 1MB/s each 5min or so. What's the issue?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Slow restore on gigabit network

Post by Mike Resseler »

Juan,

Honestly, this can be perfectly normal. Don't forget, when doing a restore, you are not only doing the network traffic, you are also performing some tasks on the target. Also, sometimes, write speed versus read speed is different on certain devices which could give you differences also. But on the other hand, it could be not normal also and an issue somewhere else.

Brgds,
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What performance do you have when doing FLR restore from that NAS via VEB UI?
JChris
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Juan C.

Post by JChris »

So, I don't know what happened as I didn't change a thing, but now the restore is normal, 95~97 MB/s on gigagit, perfect!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

On the one hand I am happy that it is solved, on the other hand... I would call it strange... :-)

Anyway, I hope it doesn't come back :-)
janezk
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Janez K

Post by janezk » 1 person likes this post

Hello

Just for info: I just did a bare metal restore from Thecus N8800 NAS over 1 GB and overall processing speed was around 50MB/s. For 150GB of data it took around 60 minutes for complete restore with all tasks.
The reason was, that I changed a HDD in my HP Mobile workstation NB with an SSD drive. So yes, VEB can be used without any problem to migrate your complete OS to SSD :D

BR

Janez
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Cool,

I assume the SSD was smaller then the HDD? Was the process to change the disk layout during the BMR difficult or easy to understand?

Mike
janezk
Enthusiast

Post by janezk »

HI,

Well Im not new in IT business so I knew what I had to do... Also have read it before on forums, that VEB can't make a BMR on smaller disk ( and I check +1 for feature request for including this option)
Although at first attemp I forgot it :oops: and tried to do the BMR from last backup that had the volume of 300GB, and it was refusing to match the volumes... :( A text box with an explanation would be very appreciated for those, that dont know the limitation in advance)
I had an 300 GB HDD with 150GB of data and a new SSD 240GB.
First I shrink the volume in windows to 200GB, and then make an incremental backup. It turned out, that it was an incremental the size of the full backup, as is detected the change of the volume. If I knew this before, I would certainly run a full backup.
I must point out that I had to deal with unmovable files when shrinking the volume. That is a real pain to do - for normal users I think it's virtually impossible.

Then did the BMR procedure again and it was sucessfull. I must note, that It was the first time I did a BMR and for me the process was very easy and the menu simple tu use.

Restore to smaller volume would be very useful in this case and especially in case that a disk fails and you can't do the volume shrink and a new backup, but you wish to change a failed HDD winth an SSD!

BR

Janez
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm, actually restore to a smaller volume works already in BMR. The information is here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/1 ... esize.html

So I guess this is not so clear then?
janezk
Enthusiast

Post by janezk »

HI,

I must have missed this :oops: , when searching for the options to do a restore on smaller volume with VEB. I am sure, that my search always returned the results, that VEB can't do a restore on smaller disk. Maybe the option was not so publicised on forums when got implemented as everyone was very happy with it...

when doing the restore in the first try automatic volume matching failed an I tried to do it manually but obviously I overlooked or didn't get to the point to make the RIGHT click with the mouse. I just LEFT clicked on the volume and didn't get anything.

So I can confirm, that this is not so clear. Maybe you can consider some improvement in next versions...

Over this weekend I will do two more migrations to SSD and will do the procedure again. I will pay some more attention to the ease of use of the restore inteface.

BR

Janez
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Janez!

And yes, I do have to admit, I just tried a search and the first I got into was also that it is not supported (which it wasn't in the first version, I believe we started with it in version 1.1)

I might need to talk to our SEO guys and girls and see how we can fix this (if we can fix this... ;-))

Keep us informed with your experience of the weekend, would love to hear additional feedback on usability so we can discuss this with our developers

thanks

Mike
janezk
Enthusiast

Post by janezk »

hi,

I will sure post in the next week ( although we went a little off topic here... 8) ... but with a good cause ) so I will post also what will be the transfer rate... :)

BR

Janez