Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Antani
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alessio

Controlling remote backups

Post by Antani »

Good morning,
I work for a small company for which I have happily and easily configured more than 290 backups with Veeam Backup & Replication.
Those were, obviously, virtual server, but in the company's infrastructure there are 50 more physical servers.
Company wants to use Veeam Endpoint Backup, but I have some perplexities.
I am EMC² certified and I've always worked with Networker. This software allows me to control and know the backups jobs' result from a backup server.
Basically you install the software on the client and the schedulation happens by the server. The server also tells you if the backup went ok or not.

1) Is this possible with Veeam Endpoint Backup?
How can I know the result of the 50 servers backups' day by day? Do I really have to connect to every server and check the Veeam client?

2) I noticed that Endpoint supports Backup & Replication storage infrastructure. Can I configure Endpoint job by Backup & Replication console?

Thank you
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Controlling remote backups

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Alessio,

1) As of today, you can't schedule / configure the backups from an endpoint through a central management solution. Soon we are launching a beta of Veeam Agent for Windows (new name for Veeam Endpoint Backup) that will have paid editions and will allow for central distribution / configuration etc through API's. Also, we will release the Veeam Availability Console (VAC) that will allow central management of these endpoints through a central console.

2) You can target your Endpoints to backup the data to a Veeam Backup & Replication repository. At that point, you will see the jobs appearing in Veeam Backup and Replication, and you will now success / failure on a daily basis (including email notifications if you want to) but as said, today no central configuration yet

Hope it helps

Cheers

Mike
Antani
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alessio

Post by Antani »

Thank you, I'll wait for those new products.
Any estimated release date?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

A beta should be out soon... Really soon if I am not mistaken
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just a small note: all betas will be private (not public), meaning that you should contact your SE to receive the bits, besides, Veeam Availability Console (VAC) beta will be distributed to VCSPs only.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Aside the upcoming releases,
How can I know the result of the 50 servers backups' day by day? Do I really have to connect to every server and check the Veeam client?
For now you can use email notifications to be aware of all backup results or warning/errors only.
Thanks!