Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
folerx
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Daniel Kaiser

encrypted archiving - best long term encryption method

Post by folerx »

hi
I have 5000 folders with 11TB data. CD0001-5000. Want to archive it to tape for long term with some encryption. But, need advice how to encrypt it for the best long term retention and compatibility across OS-es and hardware.
1. Solution one is typical encryption entire tape via veeam. Good, but I need veeam for restore which can be tricky if I need restore after 20 years.
2. Solution 2 is zip with 7zip, each folder to individual archive with aes-256 password and write this zips to tapes. Good, but we know that archive can be corrupt. In this way I can loose entire archive if little data get corrupted on tape. In solution 1 I can restore file by file so much lower loose rate but need veeam. Another + is that I can restore tapes without veeam and unzip archives on every os and hardware without veeam for many years ahead.
3. etc...

Any advice is welcome... :wink:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: encrypted archiving - best long term encryption method

Post by veremin »

1. Solution one is typical encryption entire tape via veeam. Good, but I need veeam for restore which can be tricky if I need restore after 20 years.
But you will need to have Veeam regardless of encryption, since you're managing tape backups by VB&R? Thus, usage of software encryption might be preferable option, indeed. Thanks.
folerx
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Daniel Kaiser

Re: encrypted archiving - best long term encryption method

Post by folerx »

If I use encrypted zips as files and copy this files to tapes with veeam but without veeam encryption, do I can restore this tapes on system without veeam? I want independent solution.