Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cburden
Lurker
Liked: never

Offsite Backup Advice

Post by cburden »

Hi,
Im currently in the process of planning and setting up an offsite backup for our virtual servers and was hoping for a bit of guidance.

Current setup:
Two reverse incremental jobs, one backing up 15 virtual machines(VBK ~ 4TB, VRB's ~35gb daily for 10 days), the other backing up two file servers (VBK ~4.5TB, VRB's 1-15GB daily for 90 days)
These are both currently backed up on side to a 16TB repository, and im looking to create an offsite copy for these at another one of our premesis

the difficulty im having is understanding what i need for the offsite, and how it would be set up to work with out current backups

from what ive read ideally i would have a linux box on the offsite side with an agent? we have an unused server that could be used for this, however it is not able to contain enough storage, would a NAS alongside the server be the best solution for me here?

once i have the storage set up offsite, what is the best way to set veaam up to backup to the offsite storage? would it be using a seperate copy job, and is this possible using the reverse incremental method?

apologies if i have not made much sense here or missed out any importany points!

Many thanks,
Carl
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Offsite Backup Advice

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Two reverse incremental jobs,
If the backup chain on the source backup repository was created using the reverse incremental backup method, Veeam backup copy job copies data blocks of the latest full backup thus causing high amounts of traffic going offsite. In your case that would be 4.5 TB daily. May I ask you what's the reason behind the decision to use reverse incremental backup chains? You should probably switch to a forever forward incremental mode in order to reduce the amount of data to be transferred.
rom what ive read ideally i would have a linux box on the offsite side with an agent? we have an unused server that could be used for this, however it is not able to contain enough storage, would a NAS alongside the server be the best solution for me here?
Yes, you can setup a linux server as offiste repository and attach NAS directly to the linux host.

Thanks
cburden
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by cburden »

Thanks for your reply, from what i understand the reverse incremental gives us the quickest restore times so i believe that was the reason that method was chosen when the system was initially set up. Is there any efficient way for us to set up offsite backups using reverse incremental? or is changing to forever forward the only/best way to go about this?

Thanks,
Carl
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

<...>the reverse incremental gives us the quickest restore times<...>
That's true only if you want to restore to the most recent restore points.
Is there any efficient way for us to set up offsite backups using reverse incremental?
No, there is no such way. You can choose to use "Transform into rollbacks" option if you want to have reverse incrementals but transform operation is IO heavy and will cause the job to run longer.

Thanks