Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wallstrum
Novice
Liked: never

Post upgrade notification

Post by wallstrum »

Hello - when I first setup VEB on the computer I am backing up, I created a recovery partition on a large (multi-TB) external USB drive. After creating the recovery partition, I formatted the rest of the free space on the drive into another partition where I am saving the actual backups. I just upgraded VEB from version 1.1.? to 1.5.?, and now am getting a notice across the software saying "Recovery media components version differs from the current product version". When I go and run the media creation wizard to fix this error, it says that it will erase the entire USB drive, which I can't have happen because that's where all of my backups are. How can I update the components in the recovery partition without erasing the whole drive?

Thanks!

Wally
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Post upgrade notification

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Wally,

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to recreate only the recovery partition due the size differences. Older version has smaller recovery partition and new one requires more disk space. To cut the long story short, you should rebuild the USB drive layout from scratch, so the backup partition should be recreated too.
wallstrum
Novice

Post by wallstrum »

ok, understood. given this, can i make a feature request then? in the next release, make the recovery partition much larger than it needs to be (~2GB instead of ~300MB?) so that just the recovery files can be updated instead of needing to recreate everything? at this point, i have to try to figure out a temporary place to stash all of the files that comprise the backup chain for this machine and i don't know if i have a single place to store them all together temporarily.

wally
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sure. To be honest, we’ve already discussed this feature with the team. The only problem is user defined scope of drivers. Users add multiple drivers into recovery media and in such case, we cannot predict the size. Anyway, thanks for suggestion and good idea.
wallstrum
Novice

Post by wallstrum »

yeah, i understand what you mean because i do the same with the pxe boot images i create for imaging machines with microsoft mdt. my largest boot image is ~1GB, so that's why i suggested a 2GB partition size to play it safe :) i feel like that would address 99% of the use case scenarios. thanks for the help!

wally
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Agree! Thanks again Wally.